Inquest into the death of murdered crime boss Eamon ‘The Don’ Dunne to proceed
Move indicates the garda investigation has been taken as far as possible with the information available
A date has been set for the inquest into the death of murdered crime boss Eamon ‘The Don’ Dunne.
Thirty-four-year-old Dunne, from Dunsoghly Drive, Ratoath Road in Finglas, west Dublin died after he was gunned down while attending a birthday party at the Fassaugh House Pub in Cabra on April 23, 2010.
Two men entered the pub and singled Dunne out before shooting him several times in the head.
Dublin Coroner’s Court heard that that the investigation into Dunne’s death remains open but gardaí are in a position to go ahead with the inquest.
This is generally an indication that the garda investigation has been taken as far as possible with the information available.
Dunne was a significant crime figure having assumed control of the Finglas-based drugs and armed robbery operation previously led by Martin ‘Marlo’ Hyland.
He was a main gangland target for the Garda National Drugs Unit, the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Criminal Assets Bureau and Organised Crime Unit.
His gang was a major importer of drugs, supplying them to smaller operations throughout the country and is suspected of being involved in a number of gangland killings.
At the time of his death, Dunne was on bail and due to face trial on a charge of conspiring to rob €1 million from a transit van outside a Tesco in Celbridge, Kildare in November 2007.
It is believed that the DPP was also preparing to charge him with directing a criminal organisation, an offence which carries a maximum life sentence.
His father Eamonn Dunne was in court to hear coroner Dr Brian Farrell set a date after Detective Inspector Francis Sweeney indicated that it is now possible to proceed with the inquest.
“The investigation is still ongoing but we are in a position to hold an inquest. The investigation will remain open,” he said.
The inquest has been set for a full hearing on October 15.
The same date has also been set to hear the inquest into the death of 49-year-old father of three Thomas McDonagh, who was gunned down as he watched television alone in his mobile home at St Margaret’s Park, Ballymun, on September 3, 2011.
The gunmen fired through the door, striking him a number of times before making their escape.
Detective Inspector Gus Keane told Dr Farrell that the investigation into Mr McDonagh’s death remains open but the inquest can go ahead.
Meanwhile, the court heard that the investigation into the death of Christopher Warren (36) continues. Warren was shot during an incident at the Royal Canal Bank in Phibsboro on December 28, 2012, and died a short time later.
A number of people have been arrested as part of the garda inquiry.
Updating the coroner on progress in the case, Detective Inspector Sweeney applied for a six month adjournment of the inquest saying that the investigation is ongoing.
The inquest was adjourned for further mention to December 2.