Thursday 18 January 2018

Innocent man gunned down by 'man in drag' due to get married

* Gardai make three arrests
* Residential properties searches
* Intended murder target mutilated by Ryan
* Innocent father-of-two shot dead

The scene of the shooting on Shelerin Road
The scene of the shooting on Shelerin Road
Jim Cusack

Jim Cusack

An innocent man who was shot dead in Clonsilla, Dublin on Friday afternoon was due to get married in just three months time.

Tragically, the fiancée of the victim learned of his murder while on her hen in Spain, The Irish Sun on Sunday reports.

The woman flew home late on Friday evening to Dublin. The couple have two children together and were due to get married in September.

Innocent delivery driver Keith Walker was killed and another innocent passer-by was injured after a man 'dressed in drag' opened fire with an automatic handgun at Shelerin Road just after 6pm on Friday.

Mr Walker, who was delivering pigeons to a club in the area, was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene. Gardai said he was an entirely innocent victim of mistaken identity.

The passer-by who was injured is said to be recovering in James Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown.

Witnesses said the gunman who shot dead Mr Walker was dressed as a woman and ran off after firing a sustained burst of automatic fire.

Gardai have since arrested three men in connection to the murder investigation.

A 32-year-old man was first arrested in Meath. He can be held for up to seven days under anti-gangland legislation.

Yesterday evening, gardai made two more arrests in connection with the incident.

The two men, aged 36 and 38, were arrested in Dublin. Gardai also searched a number of residential properties in the Dublin area.

It has also been revealed the intended target of Friday's deadly gun attack in west Dublin was tortured and mutilated by 'dissident' republican boss Alan Ryan three years ago.

The intended victim, who is very well known to gardai, was one of the subjects of 'republican' Alan Ryan's extortion campaign in Dublin. Ryan was murdered in September 2012.

In May of that year, Ryan and associates abducted the man and subjected him to a prolonged beating and horrific mutilation involving an axe. He eventually recovered after spending a considerable period in intensive care. The torture and mutilation took place in Fairview Park and, astonishingly, given the gravity of the injuries, managed to present himself at hospital.

Gardai carried out an intensive investigation but no-one was ever charged.

Gardai said there was no suspected 'republican' involvement in yesterday's attack which they believe was carried out by a Blanchardstown-based gang. The reason for the attack were not immediately known but gardai are aware of a series of disputes between gangs in the west Dublin area. Another theory is that he was the target of Eastern European criminals.

Sunday Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News