The famous wooden gates once again hang at the entrance to Trinity College Dublin.
The College Green entrance, historically known as the ‘Great Gates’, was severely damaged when it was rammed by a car last April.
But the gates, restored as closely as possible to their original construction, were re-hung in seven different pieces by craftsmen today.
The old oak gates had been restored at the workshops of Dunwoody and Dobson, specialist heritage building contractors, based in Dublin.
After sourcing matching timber, the craftsmen repaired and replaced the damaged sections.
The original door frames were replaced with new oak posts re-made to the same design. The remaining timber was then stripped back to bare wood.
The entire gate will be French polished and the process should be complete by the end of the week.
The historic front gate was erected in the early 1870s as part of a college refurbishment, replacing the originals from 1759.