Friday 17 November 2017

Hunt for raiders who stole €190k from cash van at shopping centre

Ken Foy and Robin Schiler

Gardai are investigating the armed theft of just under €190,000 from a cash-in-transit van in west Dublin.

The incident happened in the  car park of Blanchardstown Shopping Centre at 12.40pm on Sunday.

Two men approached staff working for the G4S security company who had collected the money from an ATM at the shopping centre.

The raiders threatened the employees and demanded that the cash box be handed over.

One of the suspects was armed with a handgun and both men wore balaclavas and blue boiler suits.


After getting the huge cash haul, the men fled the scene on foot via the shopping centre’s multi-storey car park.

Their movements after leaving the car park are not known.

No arrests have been made in the case which is being

investigated by gardai at Blanchardstown.

There has been a decrease in cash-in-transit robberies nationwide in recent years.

The last major heist occurred last month and also involved the G4S security company.

On that occasion, criminals used a fake cash-in-transit van to make off with more than €60,000 from a Dublin

cash-and-carry before they crashed the vehicle and set it on fire.

The two criminals duped staff by pretending to be employees of the G4S security company. The incident happened at around 2.30pm on Monday, December 7, at the Merrywell Business Park in the Ballymount Industrial Estate.

Just days earlier in an unconnected crime, gangsters were involved in a Tiger Kidnapping in which €225,000 was stolen which led to a security alert at Dublin Airport.

It then emerged that the gang lost out on a potential stg£10m haul which had been due to be collected by the cash-in-transit employee from a London flight after the mobsters fled with the far lesser cash sum.

A mother and daughter were held hostage in a van after a gang of three entered their home in Artane, north Dublin.


The father, a cash-in-transit worker with GSLS, was forced to deliver the huge cash haul to the gang at a business park in Dublin Airport.

He was in extreme fear for the well-being of his partner and her daughter at the time, having been given a phone which contained photos them being held at gunpoint.

However, he eventually

managed to notify a member of staff at the airport after discretely handing over a note revealing the terrifying predicament.

Security workers subsequently notified gardai.

The prime suspect behind the heist is a career criminal who specialises in tiger kidnappings and has been linked to at least 12 similar crimes.

The Dubliner previously travelled to Eastern Europe to be trained in surveillance techniques and firearms by ex-special forces soldiers there.


Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News