Tuesday 16 January 2018

'He could have been killed instantly' - Wife of man viciously assaulted at Luas stop after night out speaks

Conor Feehan and Catherine Devine

A man who was viciously assaulted during a robbery after getting off a Luas tram is recovering from his injuries.

Simon Cleary (42) from Kingswood, Co Dublin was on his way home from the city centre when he was attacked at Belgard Square at around 1am on Saturday morning.

He was punched to the ground and kicked by three men during the robbery. The culprits stole two mobile phones and the victim’s wallet.

Today Simon’s wife Patricia told the Herald that he was recovering from his terrible ordeal.

Simon Cleary was on his way home from the city centre when he was attacked at the Luas stop
Simon Cleary was on his way home from the city centre when he was attacked at the Luas stop

“He had to have stitches to his injuries and he’s recovering at home now, and thankfully he is not more seriously injured,” she said.

Patricia also confirmed that tests showed there was no damage to metal plates that Simon had previously had to have inserted into his skull following a fall from a building site in Australia a few years ago.

A Garda investigation into the incident is continuing but no arrests have yet been made.

“He was in town having drinks with colleagues from work and got the Luas home,” Simon’s wife Patricia said.

Patricia said Simon fell asleep on the Luas on the way home and got off at Tallaght after missing his stop at Kingswood.

“When he got off at Tallaght he saw a couple of fellas walking behind him and he instantly started to walk faster.

Simon Cleary was attacked as he waited at the Tallaght Luas stop
Simon Cleary was attacked as he waited at the Tallaght Luas stop

“He was trying to get a taxi when the three men came up behind him and started reaching for his phone.

“Simon began to walk away faster and one of them punched him in the back of the head and he fell down. He could have been killed instantly.”

Read more: 'He could have been killed instantly from the punch to the head' - Man (42) brutally attacked at Luas stop

Patricia said that the three men continued to kick Simon in the head and face and punched him repeatedly.

“He was badly beaten up. He had a foot print on his face from being kicked so badly.”

The three men stole his mobile, his work phone and his wallet during the attack.

Patricia and her husband Simon
Patricia and her husband Simon

“He walked home to Kingswood because he couldn’t get a taxi. When he came in I was shocked. There was blood everywhere.”

“It could have been worse. I’d hate to think it would happen again to someone, particularly a young girl walking on her own. One blow can kill.”

Patricia said she was particularly worried about Simon’s head as he had fallen off a building in Australia a few years ago and had to get a complete facial reconstruction.

“He is blind in one eye and has titanium plates in his head so I was really worried that they might have injured his good eye or damaged the plate in his head. I’m worried about the damages underneath his face.”

Simon was treated at Tallaght hospital where he got six stitches in his head and three in his lips.

“The punch from the back of the head could have killed him instantly. We read about those stories all of the time.

“I’m from Tallaght and it’s generally safe but I just wanted to warn people that this kind of thing can happen,” said Patricia.

“It’s terrifying, he’ll be left with scars now.

“Simon is in bed trying to recover. He’s in a shocked state with a very swollen head but he’s ok. I’m lucky he’s not an overly dramatic person.

Anyone with information is asked to call Tallaght garda station at 01-6666000.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News