Saturday 24 February 2018

Granny attacked in own home lucky to be alive

Doreen O'Shea
Doreen O'Shea Newsdesk Newsdesk

A grandmother who was beaten up and left for dead by an intruder says she considers herself lucky to have survived.

Doreen O'Shea (50) was attacked in her home in Ashford, Co Wicklow, in July. She believes she may have been killed had she lived in a more isolated area. Ms O'Shea said she was fortunate to live close to Wicklow town's 24-hour garda station.

"If I was living in the Midlands somewhere, I wouldn't have had a hope," she told the Irish Independent.

The incident in Ms O'Shea's home occurred on July 8 at 1.15am, when she found a young man armed with a stick in the kitchen.

The man struck her on the head repeatedly until she was forced to take shelter under the stairs.

"I curled up in a ball and tried to protect my head," she recalls. "I could hear my bones break but I couldn't feel it. I was bleeding profusely," she added.

However, the man continued to hit her until he believed she was dead. He left without taking anything from the house, leaving her phone, computer and wallet behind.

Ms O'Shea then crawled to her mobile phone and dialled 999. Gardai were at the scene within nine minutes while an ambulance arrived 15 seconds later.

She spent more than two weeks in hospital, recovering from numerous arm and wrist fractures and head injuries.

The mother-of-four spoke about her ordeal on RTÉ Radio 1's 'Today with Sean O'Rourke' in order to raise awareness about crime in rural areas.

Ms O'Shea says she always has a friend or family member with her since the attack, and that she suffers from serious panic attacks.

However, she added she was thankful that she was fit enough to withstand the injuries.

"I was so lucky. Had I been anyone else with an ailment, I wouldn't have made it," she said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News