Monday 11 December 2017

Gardaí search second scene after Bank Holiday hit-and-run left one man dead

Stock picture
Stock picture

Cathal McMahon and Ken Foy

Detectives are now examining a second scene as part of their investigation into a hit-and-run over the Bank Holiday weekend.

A man, aged in his 40s, was discovered with fatal injuries on the Coolgreany Road in Arklow, Co Wicklow shortly before 2.30am on Monday.

He had been walking when it is believed he was struck by a vehicle.

He was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was taken to St Columcille's Hospital, Loughlinstown, where a post mortem examination is taking place this morning.

Some time after the incident a man presented himself to gardaí in Arklow station where he is helping them with their enquiries.

A Ford car has also been seized and is currently being forensically examined. has learned that gardaí began examining a second location, around 2km from where the victim was discovered, this morning.

Garda Forensic Collision Investigators are examining both scenes.

A senior source explained that they are trying to establish the full details of what happened.

"It was a particularly dark, wet and windy night so gardaí want to get to the bottom of exactly what happened here."

Gardaí believe they know who he is but formal identification is only expected to take place later today.

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to contact them at Arklow Garda Station on 0402 26320.

In total six men and one woman died on Irish roads over the weekend.

The deaths occurred in six separate incidents in Meath, Wicklow, Mayo, Louth, Roscommon, and Fermanagh.

As the long weekend came to an end, a male driver (30s) was killed in a collision between his car and an articulated truck in the early hours of this morning.

The incident happened at approximately 1.30am at the M1, northbound, between Junction 13 Dunleer and Junction 14 Ardee in Co Louth.

Emergency services were called to the scene and the sole occupant of the car was brought to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

The male driver of the truck (mid 60s) was uninjured.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News