Tuesday 12 December 2017

Gardaí continue to probe bus passengers over Kym assault

Maynooth student Kym Owens
Maynooth student Kym Owens

Luke Byrne and Ken Foy

Gardaí investigating the brutal assault on student Kym Owens are still investigating the possibility her attacker may have travelled on the same bus as her.

There were 53 people on the bus that travelled from Monaghan to Maynooth and a senior source this morning said they are “close to accounting” for all those people but have not accounted for them all yet.

Kym (18) was viciously beaten in Maynooth on November 20 last after returning to college. She had just got off a private bus service before she was set upon while walking to her digs at the Moyglare Abbey Estate, in Maynooth.

“We have not ruled out that the attacker may have been on the bus,” a source said today.

Gardai at the scene one week after the brutal attack
Gardai at the scene one week after the brutal attack

The source said until that happened, officers could not rule out that the attacker was on the bus.

Yesterday, gardaí returned to the scene of the attack one week on, along with locals who were among the first on the scene.

Every car driving past the estate where the Arts student was viciously attacked last week was stopped and questioned.

From before 8pm yesterday, officers investigating the case were out in force encouraging people to provide any of information they might have, even if it seemed insignificant to them.

“Quite often officers will return to the scene around the same time as the incident a week later.

“The idea is that many of the people going about their business will be doing as they were doing on the night,” a source said.

Kym Owens
Kym Owens

At least two detectives and an officer with a sniffer dog were among the units on the scene, as around 20 locals also came out to help.

Some of those were neighbours who were the first to come to the aid of Ms Owens.

Gardaí were trying to jog people’s memories, as well as looking for any evidence that might be at the scene and have slipped through the net.

As was the case last week, a steady stream of students from Maynooth University were returning to their accommodation  after the weekend.

One girl, who was stopped by the gardai, said there was a level of fear in the community. She said there was concern about the fact there is no chief suspect and no motive has yet been found.

Gardai remained at the scene for more than an hour.

Ms Owen’s family stayed at her bedside in Connolly Hospital over the weekend.  Her father Ray told the Sunday World she was “doing as well as she can”.

The student is recovering from numerous injuries – including a broken jaw, broken eye sockets and a broken nose.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News