Monday 23 October 2017

Gang murdered dying drug addict 'in case he talked on his deathbed'

Gardai seal off the scene on Steelestown Lane, near Rathcoole where the body of a man was discovered in the early hours of the morning, in the same gateway where a newborn infant was found nearly two weeks ago
Gardai seal off the scene on Steelestown Lane, near Rathcoole where the body of a man was discovered in the early hours of the morning, in the same gateway where a newborn infant was found nearly two weeks ago

Conor Feehan and Jim Cusack

The man found stabbed to death in a laneway was already dying after years of chronic drug abuse, it has emerged.

The body of Andrew Guerrine (37), from New Street South in Dublin's inner city, was found on Saturday morning in the exact same spot where the newborn 'Baby Maria' was found three weeks ago on a stretch of country road off the N7 motorway at Steelstown.

There is no known connection between the two incidents other than Guerrine's killers might have learned from press reports about the discovery of Baby Maria that the stretch of road had no CCTV coverage, gardaí believe.

Guerrine was a drug addict and a criminal associated with the top assassin in the State's biggest and most deadly crime gang, sources have told the Irish Independent.

Meanwhile, local sources in the south inner city say Guerrine only had months to live after a steady decline in his health in recent years from drug abuse.

He was suffering from a form of bodily decay that is common in intravenous drug users who have infections from dirty needles or drugs contaminated with bacteria.

Local people said Guerrine smelt "like a corpse".

He was in the advanced stages of illness and had been told he hadn't long to live, the sources said.

The gang, responsible for much of the supply of cocaine, heroin, cannabis and ecstasy to Dublin and much of the rest of the country, is believed to have ordered his murder.

Last night, members of his wider family and circle of friends posted messages of support on Guerrine's Facebook page.

His family declined to comment on his death when approached as they gathered at his home in the south inner city.

Guerrine was arrested and questioned a number of times in relation to gang-related killings but was never charged with any serious offences.

It is suspected that he might have been murdered, despite the fact it was known he had probably not long to live, in case he decided to make some form of deathbed confession.

The assassin Guerrine was associated with is suspected of carrying out up to 14 murders on behalf of the Spanish-based drugs cartel that has become the dominant force in Irish organised crime. And gardaí suspect the order for Guerrine's murder may have come from inside prison where a number of key figures in the crime syndicate are currently serving terms.

The gang is believed to be responsible for between a quarter and a third of the gangland killings in Dublin in recent years, gardaí said.

It is believed the gang was responsible for the murder on March 26 last of Paul Kavanagh (29), who was shot dead in broad daylight on the main Drumcondra Road in north Dublin.

It is thought he was murdered because he "inherited" a drugs debt to the gang from his brother, Gerard 'Hatchet' Kavanagh (44), who was shot dead at a bar in Elviria outside Marbella last September. He was unable to repay the debt and was killed.

The post mortem carried out on Guerrine on Saturday by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster is understood to have indicated he was killed from repeated stab wounds to his body and neck.

It is believed he was murdered somewhere else and his body transported to Steelstown beside Junction 5 on the N7 and one of the few slip-roads on the motorway which has no commercial premises nearby and is not covered by CCTV.

The body was spotted by a driver who alerted gardaí at 2.50am on Saturday.

It was initially thought he might have been killed in a hit-and-run.

Guerrine's body was found in the exact location where Baby Maria was discovered abandoned on May 8.

The newborn was found wrapped up in a fleece blanket and placed in a shopping bag. Despite several appeals, her parents have not made contact with Túsla, the child and family agency and she is now in care.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News