Fresh appeal for information on missing schoolboy Philip Cairns
Gardaí have launched a fresh appeal for information on missing schoolboy Philip Ciarns - 30 years after he vanished.
Sunday will mark 30 years since Philip vanished and as part of the on-going investigation a special anniversary appeal is being circulated.
An earlier appeal in 2011 led to several members of the public coming forward and gardaí say these people have been liaising with the investigating team on an on-going basis.
Speaking on Friday at Tallaght Garda Station, Superintendent Peter Duff said: "Earlier this year following a press appeal, a number of lines of inquiry were opened and are being investigated I would like to thank those who have come forward and assisted in this investigation to date.
"From our recent enquiries I believe there are people who were young at the time and may have information in relation to Philip’s school bag and for whatever reason did not come forward.
"I am conscious that following to the passage of time and changing circumstances that these people may now be in a position to assist us. I want to reassure anyone who comes forward that they will be treated sensitively and discreetly by investigating Gardaí."
He said that he was again appealing, on the 30th anniversary of Philip's disappearance, to anyone who has information in relation to Philip’s school bag and have yet to come forward, to contact Rathfarnham Garda station on 01 666 6500, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.