| 6.1°C Dublin

Former Irish presidential candidate says he has 'nothing to apologise for' after Holocaust denial

Close

Exposed: Dermot Mulqueen

Exposed: Dermot Mulqueen

Exposed: Dermot Mulqueen

A FAILED presidential hopeful who appeared on a BBC programme denying the Holocaust this week insisted he had said “nothing to apologise for”.

Former Irish presidential hopeful and one-time general election candidate Dermot Mulqueen, from Ennis, Co. Clare, caused international outrage after an interview with presenter David Baddiel for the documentary Confronting Holocaust Denial.

In the interview, Mulqueen, who was previously arrested after putting an axe through a TV in Ennis’ main square, in protest at Holocaust Memorial Day, accused Jewish people of “hating Europeans”, of having “sacrificed Christian babies” and of “controlling the BBC”.

He also sang a bizarre song during the interview containing the twisted lyrics: “Outside the synagogue there are 50 Mercs, Auschwitz had its perks.

“Brainwashes man about yesterday, we’re taught their version of history.”

Contacted by phone by the Sunday World this week, Mulqueen, who refused to give an interview in person, said he had been subjected to threats online in the wake of the programme, which aired last Monday night.

“I suppose I was expecting some of it,” (the reaction) he said, “but I wasn’t expecting the level of vitriol.”

Asked how he felt about being described as an “anti-Semite” and an “embarrassment to Ireland” in the wake of his appearance on the show, Mulqueen said he is a nationalist.

“The difference between Hitler and modern politicians is that Hitler put his own citizens first,” he claimed.

“Migrants in Germany had guest permits whereas now politicians put migrants first.”

“I don’t consider myself an embarrassment to Ireland, I consider myself a promoter of free speech,” Mulqueen added.

Later he said: “I hate the fact that Irish people are being genocidally replaced by Africans and Asians.”

When it was put to Mulqueen that he was denying the factual existence of the Holocaust while promoting the fake idea of a modern day Irish genocide, he responded that the reality of the situation could be found in classrooms in Dublin.

Asked how he had come to the conclusion, in spite of first-hand accounts and overwhelming historical evidence to the contrary, that the Holocaust had not occurred, Mulqueen said he had seen a video on YouTube.

Asked whether, given the reaction to his views,he regretted doing the interview, Mulqueen said: “I don’t regret it. I gave the interview in good faith...it was two and a half hours long. He cherry picked from it to make me look bad.”

Despite Mulqueen’s claims that Baddiel tried to make him look bad, a Sunday World trawl of Mulqueen’s Facebook page discovered similar comments from his past.

In relation to an article discussing the possibility of charging concentration camp guards, he wrote: “Auschwitz had heated dormitories, a swimming pool, a theatre and a football pitch.

“There were no extermination chambers.

“So, what are they going to try (trial) him for... not mowing the football pitch?”

Baddiel, 55, from London, whose mother Sarah escaped to the UK from Nazi Germany as a newborn with her parents in 1939, said he struggled to contain his anger at Mulqueen.

“The whole thing was f***king weird,” said Baddiel. “That was one of the weirdest moments of my life, especially the song.”

Online Editors