Wednesday 22 November 2017

Facebook Live murderer kills himself after 'brief pursuit', police confirm Newsdesk Newsdesk

A man hunted by police after he murdered a man and broadcast it on Facebook Live has died by suicide.

Pennsylvania State Police said Steve Stephens (37) was spotted on Tuesday morning in Erie County, in the state's north west corner.

Authorities say officers tried to pull Stephens over and, after a brief pursuit, he shot and killed himself.

He was wanted on an aggravated murder charge in the shooting death of a 74-year-old man who was picking up aluminium cans on Sunday after spending Easter with his family.

Stephens posted a video of himself killing Robert Godwin Sr, a former foundry worker who had 10 children, police said.

In it, he said: "I snapped, I just snapped."

Stephens shared a recording on Sunday of himself announcing his plan to kill someone, then two minutes later posted another video of himself shooting and killing Godwin, Facebook said.

A few minutes after that, he went live and confessed, the company said.

The company said it disabled Stephens's account within 23 minutes of receiving the first report about the video of the fatal shooting and two hours after receiving any report.

Facebook has since announced it was launching a review for reporting harmful content.

Police would not speculate on what was behind the killing, but videos Stephens posted showed him talking about losing everything he had to gambling and trouble with his girlfriend.

Stephens filed for bankruptcy two years ago despite holding down a job as a counsellor helping young people develop job skills and find employment.

The behavioural health agency where he worked said an extensive background check before he was hired turned up nothing worrisome.

In one video posted on Facebook, Stephens said that he gambled away everything and that he and his girlfriend had planned to marry but did not, without saying why.

In the video of the shooting, Stephens told Godwin the name of his girlfriend and said: "She's the reason that this is about to happen to you."

Godwin did not seem to recognise the name.

The woman Stephens spoke of, Joy Lane, said in a text message to CBS that "we had been in a relationship for several years. I am sorry that all of this has happened".

Investigators said that Godwin was the only victim so far linked to Stephens, despite his claim on Facebook that he killed over a dozen people.

Officers searched dozens of places around Cleveland without finding Stephens or any other victims before expanding the manhunt.

Detectives spoke with the suspect on Sunday by mobile phone and tried to persuade him to surrender, police said.

Within a day, authorities expanded the search nationwide and offered a 50,000 US dollars (€46,736) reward for information leading to his capture and prosecution.

Law enforcement officials said on Monday that his phone was last tracked on Sunday afternoon in Erie, Pennsylvania, about 100 miles east of Cleveland.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News