Monday 19 March 2018

Couple suffer serious burns as their candle sparks tent blaze at Picnic

Louise Kelly

Louise Kelly

A woman and a man, both in their late 30s, suffered burns when their tent caught fire yesterday at the Electric Picnic. Gardai responded when the alarm was raised at the 'Pink Moon' festival camp site at Stradbally just after 5am.

Emergency services brought the injured couple from the Laois festival site to the Midland Regional Hospital in Mullingar. The woman - who reportedly suffered burns to her hands and face - was later transferred to St James's Hospital in Dublin.

The man involved has since been released from hospital after being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

A number of eye witnesses reported that a lit candle started the blaze that destroyed the tent "in minutes".

"The tent was gone within five minutes," according to one reveller at the scene.

"People were screaming for a knife. We heard a couple of pops like fireworks. I'd say they were aerosol cans. I didn't see her (the woman). There was around 15 people standing around the tent afterwards." The scene has since been preserved for technical examination.

Sunday Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News