News Irish News

Sunday 19 November 2017

Anthony Campbell's ‘killer’ Mangan beaten up in savage jail attack

Innocent plumber Anthony Campbell
Innocent plumber Anthony Campbell

Ken Foy

A dangerous criminal who was named in open court as being involved in the murders of Martin Marlo’ Hyland and innocent plumber Anthony Campbell was severely beaten in jail.

John Mangan was assaulted by up to six inmates in Mountjoy Prison, and forced to move from the jail landing which he has lived for a number of years.

Mangan (46) of Whitestown Green, Blanchardstown, was among dozens of criminals arrested in relation to the shocking double murder of Marlo’ and Anthony Campbell in December 2006, but gardai did not have enough evidence to charge him despite considering him a chief suspect.

In March 2012, journalist Paul Williams gave evidence in Dublin Circuit Criminal Court alleging Willie Hynes and John Mangan were responsible for the double murder, and that the late Eamon The Don’ Dunne acted as the getaway driver.

Mr Williams said two former lieutenants of Hyland were allegedly involved in the murders and named them as Hynes and Mangan. He said that Dunne was allegedly spotted in the area driving them away.

But while John Mangan was a feared gangland criminal seven and a half years ago, the Mountjoy Prison attack - which happened last Friday - show that is no longer the case.

A jail insider told The Herald: “He was jumped by around half a dozen young fellas after he got smart with them. They don’t care about his reputation and they left his face in some state.


“It all kicked off on the B landing of the jail and Mangan was told that he is not wanted there.

“So he was moved off the landing and has been rehoused to the C landing in the prison. He has been left in a terrified state and is very shaken.”

Mangan was a key member of the gang that was led by Martin Marlo’ Hyland, but he and his close associate Finglas criminal William Hynes were snared after a massive operation by gardai at Brown’s Barn, south Dublin, in July 31, 2006.

More than €2m worth of cannabis resin was seized by gardai in 14 boxes split between a Ford Transit van and an Opel Astra car in Brown’s Barn public house car park. The two men were arrested nearby.

After a lengthy trial in November 2009, Judge Patrick McCartan imposed a 12-year sentence on Hynes and a 14-year sentence on Mangan.

When the Brown’s Barn seizure happened in 2006 both Hynes and Mangan were on bail for other serious offences linked to Marlo’s crew at the time of the operation.

Gardai believe the Brown’s Barn bust directly led to the murder of Hyland because gang members suspected that Marlo’ was touting to gardai.

The capture was part of the gardai’s Operation Oak which targeted Hyland’s gang and led to 41 arrests and 26 charges.

Only five months before that, Mangan was arrested in Drumconda and was caught with more than €300k of cannabis.

When he was arrested on that occasion and asked what was in the bag, he replied: “Hash, what do you think? That’s what happens when you owe people money.”

He said “the job” was worth €2,000 to him off a €9,000 debt.

Just eight months after Marlo’ and Anthony Campbell were shot dead, Mangan was arrested with a loaded Luger pistol down his trousers in the Comet pub in Santry in August, 2007.

He was on bail on the two charges of possession of cannabis at this time.

Mangan told gardai his life had been threatened between eight and 10 times that year and he was only carrying the pistol for his safety.

Mangan is serving 10 years for the firearms offence on top of the 14-year drugs sentence imposed on him in 2009.


Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News