Named and shamed priest still won't apologise for raping teenage victim
ONE of the paedophile priests investigated in the Cloyne Report into allegations of sexual abuse in the diocese has refused to apologise for raping his teenage victim.
Fr Brendan Wrixon (75) is the only one of the 19 priests referred to in the report who has been convicted by the courts.
Identified as Fr Caden in the report, he began fondling a 16-year-old boy in the early 1980s and moved on to penetration and oral sex, it is alleged.
His victim, named Patrick in the report, went on to become a priest in the diocese of Cloyne.
Fr Wrixon is retired and no longer says Mass in the parish church. He doesn't live in the parochial house but he has never been defrocked.
A spokesman for the Cloyne diocese said he was in receipt of a "modest" pension from the church.
The Irish Independent tracked him down to an address on the outskirts of Newmarket, Co Cork, yesterday.
He refused to answer the door, and later refused to speak when asked if he would apologise to his victim or if he had anything to say about the Cloyne report.
He quickly drove away.
In 2010, Fr Wrixon was charged with three counts of gross indecency between October 16, 1982, and February 15, 1983, and was given an 18-month suspended sentence after he pleaded guilty to one count.
He appeared before Judge Sean O Donnabhain in Cork Circuit Criminal Court in November last year.
Fr Wrixon's case was singled out in the Cloyne Report as an example of how Bishop John Magee and Monsignor Denis O'Callaghan dealt insufficiently with allegations of sexual abuse.