News Irish News

Monday 19 November 2018

Murder victim’s brother ran into shop covered in blood

  • Willie Lynch attempted to flee after being attacked in his home
  • Victim died from multiple stab wounds to the torso
  • Four areas sealed off for examination 
Gardai are investigating the death of a man in the village of Pallaskenry, Co Limerick. Photograph Liam Burke Press 22 Inset: Willie Lynch
Gardai are investigating the death of a man in the village of Pallaskenry, Co Limerick. Photograph Liam Burke Press 22 Inset: Willie Lynch
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

The brother of stabbing victim Willie Lynch went into a supermarket immediately after the incident, covered in blood, and grabbed a bottle of wine.

The revelation came as it emerged that Willie desperately attempted to flee after being attacked in his terraced home in Pallaskenry, Co Limerick, at 5pm last Saturday.

Gardaí are treating his death as murder, after a post-mortem confirmed that he died from multiple stab wounds to the torso.

William’s younger brother Gerry (29) was last night in custody at Newcastlewest Garda station. He is expected to appear in court today to be charged in connection with the murder.

Gerry, who is also known locally as George, has suffered from a long history of severe mental health problems.

He spent Christmas with his brother, whom locals have hailed as a kind-hearted and generous man.

Another brother, Danny, is comforting their mother Helen in the tight-knit Limerick village.

She posted a comment on Facebook that the incident had left her heart “torn into pieces”.

Gardaí sealed off four areas, including Willie Lynch’s home off Main Street, a supermarket and two other properties.

The Irish Independent has learned that the supermarket was forensically examined by Garda Technical Bureau personnel amid indications that Gerry Lynch went into the outlet and grabbed a bottle of wine while being observed by shocked staff.

Eyewitnesses told gardaí the man was behaving “very strangely” at the time.

One local was so concerned that they decided to alert the gardaí after spotting a patrol car arriving in the village.

A potential link was then made to the tragedy, which had occurred just minutes earlier in the Lynch home.

The two other properties in Pallaskenry were examined for possible blood spatters.

Despite desperate efforts by paramedics to stabilise Willie Lynch’s condition, he was pronounced dead in his home. He had sustained multiple stab injuries to his torso from a long-bladed knife.

Gardaí understand that the attack was triggered by a trivial dispute over Christmas spending.

Willie Lynch was apparently attacked so suddenly that he had no chance to flee the property on to the street.

Damage to the interior of the house – including smashed stair spindles – indicated that the 35-year-old desperately tried to defend himself and escape the house to safety.

However, he collapsed from his wounds and was found lying in a pool of blood on the stairs by the banister when emergency services arrived.

Willie Lynch, a well known football, pool and darts player, had been scheduled to host a charity pool tournament on Saturday night in aid of Milford Hospice.

Pallaskenry publican Eric Clancy said it was the worst tragedy in the village’s modern history, adding: “It is hard to believe.”

Gardaí again appealed to anyone who may have spotted anything unusual in the village last Saturday to assist their investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to contact gardaí on (061) 393102 or the Garda Confidential Line on (1800) 666111.

Gardaí confirmed they were not looking for anyone else in relation to the tragedy.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News