Monday 11 December 2017

Mum-of-two finds 'disgusting' plastic glove buried in her takeaway dinner

The 'troublesome morsel' a mum-of-two found in her takeaway Credit: Rebecca Kelly
The 'troublesome morsel' a mum-of-two found in her takeaway Credit: Rebecca Kelly

David Kearns

A mother-of-two tucking into a takeaway made a grisly discovery when she thought she had come across a bit of tough cabbage.

Rebecca Kelly assumed she had found a “bit of white cabbage” in her tub of coleslaw but when she stuck her folk in the troublesome morsel turned out to be a whole plastic glove.

“I started to pull at it, and this full glove came out,” the Northern Irish mum-of-two told the Belfast Live.

“It was a full glove covered in coleslaw, it was disgusting. I was really shocked, I just couldn’t believe it.” 

Ms Kelly, from Portadown in County Armagh, alleges she found the ‘disgusting’ glove in the side of coleslaw that came with a lasagne carry-out from a local takeaway.

“It was Saturday evening and I got a lasagne and two kids meals.

“I went home and got it out on the plate and sat down to enjoy my meal.

“I didn’t really enjoy the lasagne so I tried a bit of the coleslaw at the side and I thought there was this big bit of white cabbage I was pulling out.” 

The mum-of-two claims she rang the restaurant where she bought the takeaway but said no one apologised.

Instead she was offered a replacement lasagna followed by a free meal, an offered she declined.

She added: “I was told at the start, during the phone call, that they had to wear gloves for health and safety reasons.

“I’m a cook myself and I understand that, but if a glove has gone missing the batch of food that’s been prepared should be binned.”

The Belfast Live reports Ms Kelly contacted Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon District Council’s environmental health department and was told they would look into the claims.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News