News Irish News

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Mum dies in house blaze despite brave son's efforts to save her

Margaret Doyle.Pic up Pic Steve Humphreys23rd December 2012.
Margaret Doyle.Pic up Pic Steve Humphreys23rd December 2012.
Washing still on the line at the scene of the fatal fire at Mountain View in Hacketstown Co Carlow yesterday.Pic Steve Humphreys23rd December 2012.
Margaret Doyle's son James (left) who pulled his mother from the fatal fire. Guy on right is unknownPic up Pic Steve Humphreys23rd December 2012.
Louise Hogan

Louise Hogan

A SON valiantly tried to save his mother's life after he pulled her from their smoke-filled home in the early hours of the morning.

Neighbours rushed to help James Doyle (20 as he tried to resuscitate his mother Margaret Doyle (50) on the front lawn of their home in Mountain View estate in Hacketstown, Co Carlow. She was later pronounced dead.

The mother-of-six had only been home a couple of hours after a night out when her son returned home at 4.30am yesterday to find the house on fire.

It is understood a fire had broken out in the kitchen of the family's home and the small bungalow had swiftly filled with smoke. The young man's cries for help alerted neighbours who tried to help him resuscitate her while they waited for emergency services.

They described hearing the smoke alarm beeping from outside the house as they called family members who lived nearby to come help her distraught son.

Gardai said the early indications were that the fire had started accidentally.

Fire crews from Tullow and Hacketstown extinguished the blaze before examining the scene to determine the exact cause of the fire.

Ms Doyle's body was removed to Waterford Regional Hospital for a post-mortem.

She was being mourned by her mother Marie McDonald and her daughters Jackie, Lisa, Amanda and sons James, Michael and Bob.


The beloved mother and grandmother, who worked in recent years in the Day Care Centre in the town, had celebrated her 50th birthday earlier this year with a fun-filled party in Boland's Bar in Hacketstown for friends and family.

Some of her daughters visited the house yesterday but were too distraught to talk.

The windows in the small semi-detached bungalow were open yesterday as a smell of smoke hung in the air, while the family's dog 'Lucy' was wandering outside the home, her coat covered in soot.

A Christmas wreath was hanging on the front door, while a set of keys were dangling from the keyhole and her washing was still hanging on the clothes line.

Neighbour Eddie Walsh said she was a lovely lady who had "never done any harm to anybody".

"It was a terrible thing to happen," he said. "I saw the fire brigade and I was wondering what was happening."

John Yesudian, who lives across the street from the house, said she was a "nice person" who always said hello, and they'd recently been discussing the possibility of a white Christmas.

Parish priest Fr James McCormack said she was well known to many people in the town through her work on FAS schemes in the day care centre. He added that she was a "nice lady" who would be greatly missed.

She will be buried tomorrow following 11am Mass at St Bridget's in Hacketstown.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News