Friday 19 January 2018

Mum and daughter (8) slain in knife frenzy knew their killer

Jolanta Lubiene (27) and her eight-year-old daughter Enrika
Jolanta Lubiene (27) and her eight-year-old daughter Enrika
A Garda Technical Bureau investigator removes a dog from the scene
The home in the Langford Downs estate in Killorglin, Co Kerry.
Jolanta’s sister Kristina in tears as she arrives at the scene
Enrika (8) with her mother Jolanta Lubiene and father Marius Lubys
Gardai remove a coffin from the house

Majella O'Sullivan and Tom Brady

A YOUNG mother, who died with her daughter in a frenzied knife attack at their home, knew their killer.

Gardai say there was no sign of forced entry, indicating the killer was let into the house in Killorglin, Co Kerry, before savagely stabbed his victims during daylight hours on Saturday.

The bodies of Jolanta Lubiene (27) and her eight-year-old daughter Enrika, pictured, were not found until a friend of the family called to the rented semi-detached house at Langford Downs on Sunday night.

But gardai think they were murdered some time late on Saturday morning or afternoon.

Jolanta, who suffered multiple stab wounds, was attacked in the kitchen as she was cooking. Officers found food in the oven.

The body of her daughter was found on an upstairs landing and she had sustained a severe stab wound to the neck.


The two planned to leave Ireland next month. Jolanta had postponed an earlier departure date to allow Enrika celebrate her First Communion in May with her friends from second class at Scoil Mhuire in Killorglin.

The last confirmed sighting of Jolanta was at teatime on Friday while her daughter was spotted about two hours later.

But gardai have established that Jolanta had been contacted by phone by her sister, who lives eight miles away in Milltown, on Saturday morning and had agreed to babysit her sister's son.

When her sister arrived at the house on Saturday evening, she got no response when she rang the front doorbell and left again with her son.

Gardai believe that an examination of Jolanta's phone and internet records could provide vital clues to the identity of the killer.

Officers are also carrying out house-to-house inquiries in the estate to establish if anybody saw a man in an agitated state and possibly wearing bloodstained clothes in the area on Saturday.

The little girl's father, Marius Lubys (29), who works in Sweden, was informed of the killings by telephone on Sunday night and was collected by friends at Dublin Airport yesterday.


Mr Lubys, who was visibly in shock, told the Irish Independent the family had lived together in Killorglin up until six months ago when he left to go to Sweden.

He said they were due to be reunited in Lithuania in three weeks' time.

"The last time I spoke to Jolanta was in April," said Mr Lubys, who first met his wife when she was only 17 and still in school in Telsiai, in western Lithuania.

The couple moved to Ireland in 2005 but he said it was only in the past year she had spoken about returning home. They had also discussed leaving Enrika in Lithuania with her grandparents so that both of them could work in Sweden and save money to eventually move home for good.

"She was such a nice person," Mr Lubys added.

Gardai were alerted at around 8.30pm on Sunday after a Lithuanian friend of Jolanta's had called to the house.

The popular chef at St Joseph's Day Care Centre in Killorglin had not turned up for work and friends became concerned when she was not answering her phone.

Assistant State pathologist Dr Margot Bolster conducted a preliminary examination at the scene and last night full post-mortems were carried out at Kerry General Hospital.

Superintendent Flor Murphy said a team of up to 40 gardai were involved in the investigation, which was expected to be upgraded officially to a murder inquiry last night.

"Contact has been made with a number of relatives of the deceased but at this stage we'd like to appeal to anyone with information, particularly anyone who was in the Langford Downs area at the weekend, to talk to us," he said.

A murder weapon has not yet been found.

A friend of Ms Lubiene's said she last spoke to her on Saturday and neighbours also reported hearing loud music coming from the house at around 8.55am on Saturday.

Helen O'Shea, who worked with Ms Lubiene at St Joseph's, said they regularly spoke a few times a day and had become the closest of friends.


"Someone rang me to ask if she was okay and I knew she was working yesterday (Sunday) so I said I'd leave her alone," she said.

"I later texted her but there was no reply and when I tried ringing, her phone was switched off," Mrs O'Shea told the Irish Independent.

She confirmed her friend was planning to leave and already had done a lot of packing in preparation.

"I never thought she'd go. She knew everyone in Killorglin and was so chatty she could talk to everyone."

Management and staff at Scoil Mhuire described Enrika as a "beautiful child who was loved by all who knew her".

"She was friendly, caring and considerate to others and will be sadly missed by her fellow pupils and staff," a statement said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News