Motorist doing 177km/h among hundreds caught speeding on 'National Slow Down Day'
Gardaí have cracked down on 225 speeding motorists within 24 hours, with one travelling 177km/h in a 100km/h zone.
National Slow Down Day was held over a 24 hour period from 7am yesterday in a bid to get motorists to comply with speed limits.
Gardaí and GoSafe checked the speed of 140,223 vehicles across the country during the campaign, with the majority deemed to be compliant.
One of the worst offenders detected was a motorist driving over 50pc above the speed limit in Tipperary, driving 171km/h in a 120km/h zone.
Donegal appeared to have the most offenders, with six motorists caught driving significantly above the speed limit. One Donegal motorist was caught driving 123km/h in a 100km/h, while another was caught driving 117km/h in a 100km/h zone.
Two motorists were caught in Dublin, with one driving 74km/h in a 50km/h zone and another driving 70km/h in a 50km/h.
One driver in Sligo was caught driving 145km/h in a 100km/h zone.
Chief Superintendent of the Roads Policing Bureau, Finbarr Murphy said: “I would like to thank those road users who continue to drive safely and do not put themselves and other road users in danger.
“Please stick strictly to the posted speed limit, but if the road, traffic or especially weather conditions dictate, reduce your speed even further,” he said.
“This will make your journey safer not only for you, but for every road user sharing the road with you.”
See some of the notable detections over the 24 hour period of National Slow Down Day:
- 177km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N13 at Listellian Letterkenny Donegal
- 145km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N4 at Knoxspark Ballisodare Sligo
- 139km/h in a 120km/h zone on the M7 at Osberstown Naas Kildare
- 131km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N21 at Garryduff Newcastlewest Limerick
- 87km/h in a 50km/h zone on the R712 at Pennefatherslot Kilkenny Kilkenny
- 97km/h in a 60km/h zone on the R147 at Balreask Old Navan Meath
- 74km/h in a 50km/h zone on the Phibsborough Road Dublin
- 87km/h in a 60km/h zone on the N21 at Croagh Rathkeale Limerick
- 70km/h in a 50km/h zone on the Clontarf Road Dublin
- 84km/h in a 60km/h zone on the N59 at Rathglass Corballa Sligo
- 68km/h in a 50km/h zone on the N52 at Ardcroney Tipperary
- 108km/h in a 80km/h zone on the L3044 at Clonmelsh Carlow
- 67km/h in a 50km/h zone on the N72 at Shinnagh Rathmore Kerry
- 106km/h in a 80km/h zone on the R132 at Gormanston Julianstown Meath
- 106km/h in a 80km/h zone on the R334 at Cahernichole Mayo
- 106km/h in a 80km/h zone on the R747 at Roddenagh Aughrim Wicklow
- 66km/h in a 50km/h zone on the N20 at Rathgoggan South Charleville Cork
- 104km/h in a 80km/h zone on the R693 at Clashacrow Freshford Kilkenny
- 77km/h in a 60km/h zone on the L3013 at Kilquilly Ballyjamesduff Cavan
- 102km/h in a 80km/h zone on the R446 at Ballyeighter Aughrim Galway
- 76km/h in a 60km/h zone on the N5 at Lowpark Charlestown Mayo
- 75km/h in a 60km/h zone on the R445 at Newcastle Annacotty Limerick
- 125km/h in a 100km/h zone on the R238 at Drumskellan Muff Donegal
- 123km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N15 at Tawnawully Mountains Donegal
- 121km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N5 at Ballymiles Swinford Mayo
- 96km/h in a 80km/h zone on the R517 at Ballynacourty Kilfinane Limerick
- 120km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N4 at Lackan Edgeworthstown Longford
- 119km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N13 at Lisfannan Bridge End Donegal
- 119km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N2 at Reaghstown Ardee Louth
- 119km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N25 at Begerin New Ross Wexford
- 71km/h in a 60km/h zone on the R523 at Bunagarha Listowel Kerry
- 118km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N71 at Rigsdale Cork
- 117km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N11 at Clauass Enniscorthy Wexford
- 117km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N24 at Clonmore Mooncoin Kilkenny
- 117km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N53 at Barronstown Hackballscross Louth
- 93km/h in a 80km/h zone on the N52 at Scurlockstown Fordstown Meath
- 116km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N14 at Mulnagung Lifford Donegal
- 92km/h in a 80km/h zone on the R741 at Coolnahinch Gorey Wexford
- 114km/h in a 100km/h Zzone on the N11 at Bayland Camolin Wexford
- 120km/h in 80km/h zone Carbury Kildare
- 171km/h in 120km/h zone M7 Nenagh Tipperary
National Slow Down Day has been running since 2012 and it saw 226 speeding detections last May.
The penalty for speeding is 3 penalty points and an €80 euro fine, if paid within 28 days.