Mother's lottery joy a month after son is jailed for burglary

Barry Duggan

LESS than a month after a notorious teenager tried to break into the home of a senior garda his mother won almost €1m in the EuroMillions lottery.

The Irish Independent can reveal that Owen Bailey (19), pictured above right, was locked up in Limerick Prison when Susan Bailey, pictured above left, from Limerick city, won €875,321 with a €9 quickpick.

Owen Bailey was unable to celebrate the EuroMillions success in March with his family at Rossa Avenue, Mulgrave Street, Limerick, as he was locked up.

Ms Bailey, who is described by neighbours as an "extremely hard working woman who does everything for her family", won the prize on March 2.

However, it was a bittersweet celebration for the mother of 10 as Owen, who has more than 60 criminal convictions, had been imprisoned since February 4 following a seven-hour criminal rampage.

Owen was described in Limerick Circuit Criminal Court last week by Judge Carroll Moran as "the black sheep of the family".

On February 3, he appeared in Limerick District Court on burglary charges and was granted bail with a curfew imposed.


However, he was arrested less than 24 hours later after he stole two cars, burgled two homes, and tried to break into Detective Superintendent Jim Browne's home.

Niamh Browne – also a garda officer – was at her father's home when she saw a man trying to open a door on the morning of February 4. She called her father and Owen drove off in a stolen Seat Cordoba with three others.

As the father and daughter attempted to arrest the other three offenders, Owen jumped on Det Supt Browne's back.

A violent struggle ensued. The father and daughter feared for their safety and the gang escaped. Det Supt Browne suffered two broken fingers, a chipped bone, bruising and abrasions. His daughter suffered injuries to her face, neck and shoulder. After stealing a Mercedes, Owen was eventually arrested that morning. He has been imprisoned ever since.

Last week, he sniggered and laughed in court before Judge Moran sentenced him to three years' imprisonment.