Mother of Scissor Sisters gets five years for cover-up
THE mother of the so-called Scissor Sister killers was yesterday jailed for five years over her role in covering up the gruesome murder of her lover.
The sentencing of Kathleen Mulhall (53) was the final chapter in a case that horrified the country with its graphic accounts of how Farah Swaleh Noor was killed and his headless torso dumped in a canal.
Judge Paul Carney at the Central Criminal Court said he had taken into account a number of factors, including Ms Mulhall's horrific background.
Mulhall's daughter Charlotte (25) is already serving life for murder while another daughter, Linda (32), received a 15-year sentence in December 2006 for Mr Noor's manslaughter in March 2005.
Judge Carney repeated his assertion, made at the trial of Charlotte and Linda, that it was the most grotesque case he had ever dealt with.
Mulhall was convicted on a charge of attempting to frustrate the apprehension and conviction of her daughters. That included helping to clean up the murder scene.
The judge took into consideration the fact she had fled to the UK, but had voluntarily returned to Ireland and presented herself to gardai.
She had pleaded guilty, and without that plea it would have been difficult to prosecute the case. In addition, she spent her time constructively and had found religion.
Judge Carney added: "She also suffered a lifetime of abuse from family and at the hands of men with whom she had had relationships."
Her husband John Mulhall had beaten her during their marriage and he had committed suicide in 2005.
Earlier, her counsel had said Mulhall had wanted to take the blame for the murder of her Kenyan lover Mr Noor in order to protect her family.
The trial of her two daughters was told in graphic detail how there had been a row inside Mulhall's Ballybough cottage in Dublin on March 21, 2005.
The killing of Mr Noor took place in a bedroom and was followed by the crude dismembering and dumping of his body parts in Dublin's Royal Canal and a park. His head was not found.
Yesterday, Mulhall showed no reaction as she was sentenced at Cloverhill by Judge Carney. Her term was backdated to February 13, 2008.
The mother of six was tracked down by gardai with the help of the Metropolitan Police and checks of British social welfare records.
Detectives went to see her last year and persuaded her to come back to Dublin. After six interviews with gardai, she was arrested and charged.
In evidence about the night of the murder, Garda Sheelagh Sheahan said Mulhall told them of hearing "roaring and shouting" and that her daughter Linda came out of the bedroom covered in blood, saying Mr Noor was dead. She went into the bedroom and saw that Mr Noor was not breathing.
"I was dragged out. They slammed the door shut. I did not get back in."
She said that she did not see Mr Noor being killed and, to protect her family, did not report the killing. She had been in a relationship with Mr Noor since 2002, and it was "abusive".
Her lawyer said she had "suffered a lot".
Mulhall was released from garda custody in September 2005. Detectives were unable to locate her again until January 2008.
In December 2006, Charlotte and Linda were convicted of Mr Noor's killing.