Tuesday 23 July 2019

More bathing bans are likely as treatment plant upgrade 'to take years'

  

The Bathing Pier at Dollymount Strand, Dublin
The Bathing Pier at Dollymount Strand, Dublin
Sorcha O'Connor

Sorcha O'Connor

More bans on swimming at Dublin beaches are likely as it could be years before the upgrade to the Ringsend wastewater treatment plant is completed.

The €400m project is expected to be completed in the "mid-2020s", and until then more sewage pollution is likely for Dublin Bay.

Heavy rain earlier this week caused an overspill of the storm tank at the plant leading to sewage entering the sea.

Dubliners are facing closures of some of the capital's most popular beaches as a result.

Test results for a number of beaches which are closed to swimming, including Dollymount Strand, Sandycove, Seapoint and the Forty Foot, are due back today.

However, Sandymount beach and Merrion Strand will be closed for the entire summer due to poor water quality.

A spokesperson for Irish Water told the Irish Independent it is "working to provide infrastructure to achieve compliance with the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive for a population equivalent of two million by the end of 2022".

"When all the proposed works are complete in the mid-2020s, the Ringsend wastewater treatment plant will be able to treat wastewater for up to 2.4 million population equivalent, while meeting the standards of the directive," said the spokesperson.

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council has put bathing prohibitions in place for Seapoint, Sandycove and the Forty Foot.

This is due to an overflow at the pumping station on the West Pier and is not connected to the stormwater overspill at Ringsend.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News