News Irish News

Monday 20 November 2017

Model speaks on vicious Dublin assault

Emily MacKeogh
Emily MacKeogh

Aishling Phelan

A MODEL was viciously attacked on a night out in Dublin last weekend.

Emily MacKeogh was assaulted by another young woman as she walked to a nightclub in the city centre in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Speaking earlier today, she referred to the infamous ‘Annabels case’ which saw Gonzaga student Brian Murphy (18) beaten and kicked by a group of former Blackrock College students outside the Burlington Hotel nightclub in Dublin 4, in August 2000.

Ms MacKeogh claimed on the programme she was a “childhood friend” of Brian Murphy.

“These things things can escalate, I mean, I was friends with Brian Murphy who was killed years ago and that was just horrendous.

“People get aggressive and they don't fully realise what they are doing,'' she said.
Ms MacKeogh explained how the young woman attempted to stab her with her stiletto after verbally abusing her and punching her in the face.

'I got punched in the face and she pulled my hair and went to take her shoe off, actually her stiletto and her friend screamed.''

The 26-year old later reported the incident at Pearse Street Garda station and gave details of the assault.
''Myself and my friend were parking her car and there was a couple sitting outside one of the buildings there.

“And basically they started a row with us and I actually ended up getting attacked by a young girl, completely unprovoked, and it was a very scary experience so I'm still in shock after it,'' she told RTE Radio’s Liveline.
The model said that the reason she may have been assaulted was because she was dressed up to go out that night.
''Well we were getting out of the car and they had originally been shouting at us that we were wearing enough make up, because we were fixing ourselves as we were going into the club.'

''Both of them started calling us ugly and just being very abusive.

“I told them I was a guard and that there were CCTV cameras everywhere just to prevent them from doing something because they were very aggressive but that didn't stop them unfortunately,'' she added.

Four men went on trial in 2004 in relation to the fatal assault on Brian Murphy.

After the six week trial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court. Dermot Laide, from Castleblayney in Monaghan, was convicted of manslaughter and violent disorder.

The manslaughter conviction was later deemed unsafe and set aside.

The possibility of a re-trial faded away when state pathologist Marie Cassidy's report differed from that of her predecessor John Harbison.

Laide served 18 months in prison for violent disorder and was released in September 2005.

Sean Mackey from Foxrock served a similar term for violent disorder.

Andrew Frame from Donnybrook had a charge of manslaughter withdrawn by the judge and was cleared of violent disorder by the jury.

Desmond Ryan from Dalkey was sentenced to nine months for violent disorder but was allowed to sit his final exams at UCD before beginning his sentence.

Ultimately, he never spent a day in prison because his conviction was successfully overturned on appeal, on the grounds of his unlawful arrest with a bad (flawed) warrant.

Brian’s parents Denis and Mary Murphy later said their son had been failed by the State, and called for the legal system to be overhauled.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News