Missing teen Dylan O'Doherty (15) found safe and well in the UK
A 15-year-old boy from Co Clare reported missing last week has been found safe and well in the UK.
Dylan O’ Doherty from Cappa Lodge in Sixmilebridge was last seen at his home on Monday September 22nd.
Gardaí issued an appeal last Thursday and expressed concern for the teenager’s safety.
Today, Gardaí renewed their appeal and confirmed that they believed Dylan had travelled to England and could have been in the company of a 29-year-old woman.
Dylan’s family set up a Facebook page in the hope of spreading the word about his unexpected disappearance. The “Please Help Find Dylan O’Doherty” page had almost 5,000 followers last night.
The O’Doherty had been asking people to help them locate Dylan and feared he could be anywhere in the UK.
In a message on the social media site, Dylan’s parents said they were ‘overwhelmed’ by the public support they had received and asked people to continue to share the Facebook page and appealed for everyone continued sharing a photograph.
Last night however, it was confirmed that Dylan had been found safe and well.
Details were still vague but gardaí confirmed that they had been informed by their Interpol colleagues that the teenager had been located. Gardaí had been working closely with the British police and Interpol in their efforts to locate the teenager.
“We have been informed by our colleagues in the UK that Dylan has been found safe and well,” Superintendent Derek Smart said last night.
Gardaí could not however confirm where exactly Dylan had been located or whether there was any person with him or whether that person had been detained by police.
Last night, brief message on Facebook said: "We can confirm that Dylan has been found alive and well this is all the information I can give to you right now. It is because of people like you that Dylan was found so thank you to each and every person that liked, shared and commented, you have all been amazing."
"Dylan’s family will release a statement a little later as they would like to thank everyone that was involved,” the message said.
The HSE is understood to be working with social services in the UK in an effort to reunite Dylan with his family. It’s hoped Dylan will return to Ireland in the coming days.
Mayor of Clare and Sixmilebridge businessman John Crowe: “This is great news and I’m delighted for his family, relatives and friends. People had been very concerned for his safety. He’s a lovely young lad and they are a lovely family.”