News Irish News

Monday 11 December 2017

Michaela Harte 'fought for her life' with intruder

Michaela Harte at her wedding with new husband John McAreavey and dad Mickey Harte
Michaela Harte and her father Mickey celebrate after he managed Tyrone to victory over Armagh in the 2003 All-Ireland football final at Croke Park. Photo: Frank McGrath
Michaela pictured during the Rose of Tralee festival in Co Kerry in 2004
Michaela Harte with her husband John McAreavey
Michaela with her dad at Queen's University Belfast in 2006 after he received an honorary doctorate for services to Gaelic football and she received a bachelor of education
Michaela pictured with her dad at the same occasion
Michaela at the Rose of Tralee launch with Ryan Tubridy and the other 2004 contestants
Michaela as the Ulster Rose in 2004

The murdered daughter of Tyrone GAA manager Mickey Harte fought for her life before she was strangled, it was revealed today.

As police in Mauritius questioned six potential suspects about the death, police on the island revealed how the young teacher tried to save herself from an intruder who used a magnetic key to get into her hotel room.

A senior officer told BBC Radio Ulster programme Wendy Austin's Talkback: "The victim fought for her life. There was a struggle in the room."

A post-mortem examination revealed that the teacher was found dead in the room by her new husband, Down senior Gaelic footballer John McAreavey.

His brother and Michaela's brother Mark were on their way to the island this afternoon. They hope to have the body returned by the weekend.

The couple were on honeymoon after getting married less than two weeks ago.

Superintendent Yoosoof Soopun, from the Mauritius Police Force, said: "We are confident of a positive result today."

He said Mr McAreavey was in the restaurant of the hotel when his wife was murdered, and police have ruled him out as a suspect.

"She had gone back to the room to get some biscuits to put in her tea and, when she failed to return, her husband went to look for her," he said.

"When he found her in the room, she had been killed. He tried to help her but she was already dead. A post-mortem has showed she was strangled, she died from neck compression."

Mr Soopun said the killer used an electronic key card to enter the room.

"There was no forced entry into the room. Whoever killed her definitely used an electronic card."

He added: "This is being viewed with much concern by the police and government of Mauritius. We are doing everything we can to find whoever was responsible."

A member of staff at the four-star Legends Hotel, who went to the room to try to revive the young teacher, later consoled her husband as he made a statement to police.

Afterwards the staff member told the Press Association: "John is far from home, far from his family and in a country where he does not know anybody. I am just here to provide as much help as I can. This is a terrible situation. He needs support."

The couple were on the second leg of their honeymoon after flying out to Dubai.

Mr Harte left them at Dublin Airport the day after the marriage ceremony, close to the family home near Ballygawley, Co Tyrone.

An official from the Irish Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa, is to arrive today to assist Mr McAreavey.

The hotel is in the centre of the fishing village of Grand Gaube, not far from Grand Bay in the north-eastern corner of the island. The couple booked in on Saturday and were due to leave on Sunday.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News