McGregor in bizarre show of defiance as he's linked to fight with gang relative
Conor McGregor made a bizarre display of defiance yesterday after being linked to a brawl in a south Dublin pub.
Posting on his official Instagram account, Mr McGregor referred to himself as "the celebrity" in an apparent reference to the social media storm following newspaper accounts of a row in a Crumlin pub involving a celebrity sports star and a relative of a senior Kinahan cartel criminal.
In the Instagram post, MMA champion Mr McGregor (29) poses with his head and most of his face covered after being linked to the pub incident on social and print media.
Gardaí are still not investigating the melee as they have received no complaint.
Sources said that there were also "no plans at this stage" to interview Mr McGregor, or any alleged victims in the case.
Social media was rife with speculation yesterday that, if he was the celebrity involved, Mr McGregor would be forced to cough up a six-figure sum because of his alleged involvement in the pub row on Sunday night.
However, senior sources said gardaí have received no information that any cash had been demanded from the UFC star.
Sources said that it was "far more likely" that if there was a disagreement following the pub row, it would be potentially resolved by a payment rather than a complaint to gardaí.
"It is very fair to surmise that if there is an issue in this matter, the most likely way of the issue going away would be the offer or demand of money. This often happens in situations like this," a senior source explained.
"It is important to note that this is not a Garda investigation and there is nothing to indicate that it will be," the source added.
It has been alleged that two men were punched in the south Dublin pub late on Sunday night, including a relative of a senior Kinahan cartel henchman.
During the incident, a man in his 50s who is related to convicted drug dealer Graham 'The Wig' Whelan (35) was allegedly punched twice in the face after he intervened in a row involving a younger man from the Crumlin area.
Meanwhile, the multi-millionaire fighter is due in court tomorrow over an alleged speeding offence.
Last week, Mr McGregor had his speeding case adjourned for a second time after failing to show up in Blanchardstown District Court.
It is alleged the father of one was travelling in excess of the 100kmh speed limit on the N7 Naas Road at Rathcoole, Co Dublin, on March 31 last.
His business manager Alan Geraghty informed the court that he was acting as Mr McGregor's representative.
The court heard that Mr McGregor returned the fixed charge notice, but forgot to attach his driving licence number.
Judge Miriam Walsh said the defendant must either appear in court himself, or send a legal representative. She adjourned the case to tomorrow.
On November 6, Mr McGregor failed to appear when his case was called in court.
On that date a representative for the UFC lightweight champion told the court that he was out of the country and unable to attend.
Representatives for Mr McGregor were contacted for comment last night.