McCullagh rules out replacing departing 'Dobbo'
RTÉ broadcaster David McCullagh has ruled himself out of the running to replace Bryan Dobson on the 'Six One News'.
The 'Prime Time' presenter last night said he had no wish to take over from Dobson, declaring: "I have a very lovely job already."
McCullagh has been rumoured as a possible successor to Dobson along with Ray Kennedy and Claire Byrne.
McCullagh paid tribute to his colleague, saying: "Brian is absolutely world class. You can drop him anywhere and he will broadcast from there."
Dobson said his 21 years on the 'Six One News' had been "a blast" as he completed his final broadcast yesterday evening.
The newscaster (57) bid farewell to viewers and his long-time co-host Sharon Ní Bheoláin as he prepares to join the team on RTÉ Radio One's 'Morning Ireland'.
Ní Bheoláin admitted she didn't look at her colleague while wishing him well as she didn't want to "get all teary".
"You've been a rock to us. You've been a rock to us, figuratively and literally," she said.
"I'm not going to look at you now because I know I'm going to get all teary."
Ní Bheoláin thanked Dobson for being both a friend and mentor to her over the years.
"From my point of view, you have been a great friend and a mentor and I'm sure the whole country joins me this evening and wishes you the very best," she said.
The programme played a highlight of Dobson's work on 'Six One' which Ní Bheoláin called "Dobbo through the ages".
It featured him reporting on several significant world events such as Barack Obama's election as the first African-American president of the United States and the 9/11 terrorist attack.
Dobson said his final goodbye while looking ahead to his new role on 'Morning Ireland', which he will begin next Wednesday.
"I'm completely taken by surprise.
"It's been a blast, it really has been fantastic.
"I'm looking forward to pastures new so I'll be on the radio in the morning from Wednesday next week.
"So as they say, I hate to go, but I'm afraid I have to."