News Irish News

Saturday 17 February 2018

'Massive damage done to our house in just four minutes'

GER Corcoran and her family are still out of their home 11 months after a dishwasher fire ripped through it.

The incident sparked belated action by Bosch to repair thousands of faulty dishwashers which pose a fire risk to Irish families.

But Ger said she is concerned at the number of people who are still unaware of the risks.

Ger, from Leopardstown in Co Dublin, had put the dishwasher on one Saturday afternoon last October and went for a walk leaving her teenage children at home.

Just minutes later, they rang to say the kitchen was on fire and the fire brigade was on the way. Although the fire was relatively small, the soot and smoke damage was huge.

Her family is still living in rented accommodation as she battles with her insurance company to get the full cost of necessary repairs covered.

The dishwasher's manufacturer, Bosch, had recalled similar machines in Britain in 2011 but initially claimed this was not necessary here as voltage differences meant they did not pose a risk here.

However, RTE's 'Consumer Show' had expert tests carried out to show this was not the case and Bosch eventually did recall 29,000 dishwashers sold in Ireland between 1999 and 2005.

Ger said she is keen to warn people of the risks as dishwasher fires were more common than anyone realised. "When you see the damage done to our house in four minutes, I dread to think what would have happened if the dishwasher had been on at night while we were asleep," she said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News