News Irish News

Friday 24 November 2017

Masked gunmen shot Robert Ryle in ‘case of mistaken identity’

Father-of-one was shot seven times as he moved a child’s bicycle - by a gunmen who waited in the shadows

Shooting victim Robert Ryle
Shooting victim Robert Ryle

Gareth Naughton

A MASKED gunman who waited in the shadows to carry out an attack shot the wrong man, an inquest heard.

Gardaí at the inquest into the death of father-of-one Robert Ryle (30) from Blackditch Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10, said that they believe that he was shot in a case of “mistaken identity”.

Mr Ryle died at Tallaght Hospital on October 27, 2010, three days after he had been shot seven times outside a house at Foxdene Park in Clondalkin, Dublin 22.

Dublin Coroner’s Court heard that he spent the day of the shooting with his friend Michael Duffy and they were returning by car to Mr Duffy's house at around 8.20pm when the incident happened.

Mr Duffy, who was not present but whose deposition was read into the record, told gardaí that Mr Ryle had gotten out of the car to move a child’s bicycle in the driveway when the killer struck. He said that he heard a bang and when he looked he saw a man - who was wearing a mask from the movie Scream - coming from the side of the house. He immediately reversed the car and caught the killer between the vehicle and a pillar but the attacker still managed to get around the corner and fled from the scene.

Speaking from the body of the court, the Ryle family claimed that Mr Duffy was the intended target. Detective Inspector Richard McDonnell confirmed that there were threats against other members of the Duffy family and that no such threat existed against Robert Ryle.

He said that the gunman had waited in the shadows for the car to arrive before striking.

“It is our belief that Robert was not a person involved in activities that would have resulted in his death. Whoever was there had a specific purpose and we believe that Robert was not the target,” he said.

Despite intensive treatment at Tallaght Hospital, Mr Ryle died three days after the incident. His body was identified to gardaí by his brother Shane Ryle.

The post-mortem was carried out by state pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy who found seven gunshot wounds on his body with some causing severe damage to his internal organs. She gave the cause of death as multiple gunshot wounds to the neck and trunk.

Det Insp McDonnell said that nobody has been charged in relation to the murder and the case remains open.

The jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing by a person unknown and confirmed that they were satisfied it was mistaken identity.

Speaking following the inquest, the dead man's sister Amanda Ryle said that the family were happy that his name had been cleared.

“Finally the truth is out. My brother was no scumbag, he did not deserve the death he got and now justice has been served. This was mistaken identity. His name has been cleared,” she said.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News