News Irish News

Monday 19 March 2018

Man shot four times in drive-by attack spent half his life in jail

Tom Brady, Mark O'Regan and Sam Griffin

GUN victim Karl Wynne, who is on a life-support machine in hospital, has spent half of his life behind bars.

Mr Wynne (45), who sustained severe injuries to his head and upper spine after being shot four times, has been locked up for more than 20 years here and in the UK. Gardai said last night they were still trying to confirm a motive for his attempted murder outside a shopping centre in Tallaght, Dublin, on Thursday night.

His family gathered around his bedside throughout the day at Tallaght Hospital where his condition was described as critical in the intensive care unit.

Officers are seeking two men in dark clothing who made their getaway on a black motorcycle.

Mr Wynne was gunned down outside a vegetable store at the shopping centre on St Dominic's Road, shortly before 10pm.

The pillion passenger on the motorcycle fired five shots from a handgun, hitting Mr Wynne once in the head and three times in the body.

Gardai at the scene of the fatal shooting of Karl Wynne at St Dominic's road in Tallaght. Pic:Mark Condren
Gardai at the scene of the fatal shooting of Karl Wynne at St Dominic's road in Tallaght. Pic:Mark Condren

He immediately slumped to the ground and was helped by a man who had a medical kit in his car, while awaiting the arrival of the ambulance.


Mr Wynne had been circulating in the Tallaght area for the past couple of months but is originally from Claremont Drive, Ballygall Road East in Finglas, north Dublin.

He was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment in 1999 after pleading guilty to robbing the EBS branch at Shandon Street in Cork. The court heard that Mr Wynne calmly entered the building and produced a fake revolver.

He grabbed £3,335 and made off in a cab. Detectives and the branch manager followed in an unmarked car and approached him as he got out of the cab. They were forced to back off when he pointed the gun at them but he was arrested as he tried to hijack a car.

Earlier, he had spent 10 years in prison in the UK. He was convicted of possession of drugs, theft and unauthorised taking of a vehicle.

Last month, he was arrested by gardai for questioning about the attempted murder of gym owner Sean Enright at the Ballyboggan business park in Glasnevin but was later released without charge.

Mr Enright was shot in the upper back when he was approached by a gunman as he walked into the Universal Warrior gym, which he part owns.

The bodybuilder survived the attack after emergency surgery at the Mater hospital.

Mr Wynne was also known to be an associate of Alan Desmond, whose body was found near Killinarden Hill in Tallaght two weeks ago.

He was killed by a single shot from a handgun in the rear of his head.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News