Thursday 22 February 2018

Man sent a bloody letter to girl, court is told

A MAN sent a letter covered in bloodstains to a 15-year-old girl who is in the care of the HSE, a court heard yesterday.

Judge Kevin Kilraine, sitting at Sligo District Court, was told that Kamaldeep Kamaldeep (23), with an address at Annamoe Road, Dublin 7, had sent the "deeply disturbing" letter to the girl.

Kamaldeep pleaded guilty to a charge of trespassing at the HSE-run shelter where the teenage girl was living. He had previously been served with a court order to stay away from the girl's accommodation.

Garda James McGovern said that on December 29 last, at 2.20am, he had arrested Kamaldeep at the HSE premises in Sligo. When he searched the accused, he found a copy of the court order.

Defence solicitor Mark Mullaney told the judge that the girl no longer lived at this address. However, Justice Kilraine said he was still concerned because of the "very determined efforts" made by the accused to contact the 15-year-old.


At an earlier court sitting, Kamaldeep, who is an Indian national, had given an undertaking not to have any contact with the girl, but had added: "This is a matter of the heart, not of the mind. I will try."

The girl had also told that sitting that nobody could stop her talking to someone, "I love with all my heart".

HSE solicitor Declan Hegarty told the court yesterday that Kamaldeep had given a sworn undertaking in court on January 7 to cease all contact with the girl. Yet five days later, the accused and the girl were found together in Dublin, after she had absconded. "Our concern is the child," he added.

Justice Kilraine, who heard that the defendant was facing immigration charges in Dublin next Thursday, initially indicated that he would grant bail.

The judge said he was sure the defendant would breach the bail conditions, in which case he would be going to prison.

He said that the defendant must leave Sligo by 5pm and not return until he is back in court there on February 25. Gardai would take the defendant after the sitting to Carrick-on-Shannon, where he could get a bus or train back to Dublin.

But Judge Kilraine then said he was changing his mind after the accused had failed to answer when asked what would he do if the teenage girl tried to contact him. He remanded Kamaldeep in custody on the trespass charge. As he was taken into custody, the defendant muttered: "I would like to die." The case will be in court again on February 18.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News