Thursday 16 August 2018

Man rushed to hospital after receiving electric shock from live electrical wire

Stock picture
Stock picture
Catherine Devine

Catherine Devine

A man was rushed to hospital last night after he received an electric shock from a live electrical wire.

The incident happened at around 9pm last night near the Bay Road area of Mountmellick, Co Laois.

Gardai confirmed that the man received an electrical shock and was rushed to Tullamore hospital where he is being treated.

His injuries are not life-threatening according to gardai.

Gardai said the incident occurred when the man was connecting electrical wiring as part of his employment.

Laois County Fire and Rescue service were also called to the scene to assist the injured man.

A spokesperson told Independent.ie that fire services were in the area attending a flooding incident when they were called to assist.

In order to deal with the incident in a safe manner, the ESB supply was cut off to 1800 homes and businesses in the town between 9 and 10pm last night.

The Health and Safety Authority were alerted to the incident and investigations are ongoing.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News