Saturday 17 August 2019

Man rushed to hospital after 'electric shock' at Easons bookstore

Stock picture
Stock picture

David Raleigh

A workman sustained burn injuries to his face and upper body during an incident at an Easons shop in Limerick city on Thursday.

The man, aged in his 50s, was seriously injured around 11.46am, Thursday, while working in the shop's "basement area", located on O'Connell Street, gardai said.

The man was taken from the shop by ambulance to University Hospital Limerick, where his injuries are believed to be serious but "not life-threatening", gardai said.

The man is understood to have been working on a sprinkler system in the shop when he came into contact with an electrical cable, reliable sources said.

Two fire tenders attached to Limerick City Fire Service attended the scene, along with HSE paramedics and gardai.

A spokesperson for the Health and Safety Authority (HSA) said they were informed the man had been "electrocuted".

The spokesman said the HSA would be "carrying out an investigation" into the incident.

An Eason spokesperson said: "We can confirm that an incident took place this morning at our O' Connell Street store in Limerick, in which a workman employed by an external contractor sustained injuries while carrying out work on-site.

"To ensure the safety of all our customers and employees we closed the store.

"Our primary concern remains the well-being of the injured person and we are currently working with his employers and the Health and Safety Authority to investigate the incident."

ESB crews were present at the store assisting emergency services and HSA officials. Power was cut to the store which was closed pending further notice.

An ESB statement said: "ESB Networks is aware of an incident which took place earlier today on O’Connell Street in Limerick. ESB Networks is currently assisting the emergency services and the HSA as they investigate this incident. No further information is available at this time."

It added: "ESB Networks would like to remind the public to always be aware of the potential dangers that electricity poses and to never approach or touch electricity wires. To report an incident, please call the ESB Networks emergency number at 1850 372 999."

Garda Superintendent Derek Smart, Henry Street, Limerick, said: "The injured man is in the care of the hospital. We are treating it as a workplace accident and have referred the matter to the HSA."

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News