News Irish News

Monday 20 November 2017

Man quizzed over death is released

A MAN arrested after a father-of-two's body was found on the stairwell inside a flat complex in Co Wexford has been released without charge. The bruised body of Paddy Connors (37) was found at the apartments at Carrigtur, Springvalley, on the outskirts of Enniscorthy town on Saturday.

A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions and gardai are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

Two airlifted to hospital in Clare

A YOUNG child and a man in his 30s were airlifted to hospital in two separate medical evacuations yesterday in Co Clare.

First a diver, suffering from decompression sickness, was airlifted to hospital by the Shannon-based Irish Coast Guard helicopter. Within minutes of dropping off the man, the rescue crew was diverted to Fanore to airlift a toddler who had suffered convulsions.

Knitters hope for Guinness record

IRISH knitters are keeping their needles crossed that they have managed to weave their way into the record books following a Bank Holiday weekend "mass knit".

More than 1,000 wielded their needles for 15 minutes in Dr Hyde Park, Roscommon, in a bid to gain entry into the 'Guinness Book of Records'.

Varadkar vows to block Ryanair bid

TRANSPORT Minister Leo Varadkar vowed last night to block any attempt by Ryanair to take over Aer Lingus.

He was speaking after it emerged Ryanair sent him a letter to remind him of its interest in buying the Government's 25pc stake in Aer Lingus. Mr Varadkar last night said the European Commission had already ruled against Ryanair taking over Aer Lingus on competition grounds.

Baseball bat used in attack on teen

GardaI are investigating an attack on an 18-year-old, who was struck over the head with what appeared to be a baseball bat. The victim was on his way home with a friend from a party in a pub in Balbriggan, north Co Dublin, in the early hours of Saturday when he was assaulted.

Gardai, who interviewed the victim yesterday, said he and a friend were standing outside a house when they became involved in a confrontation with a man. The 18-year-old was struck on the head and was taken by the emergency services to Beaumont Hospital where he received treatment for his wounds. His injuries were not life-threatening.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News