Thursday 22 March 2018

Man questioned after dad-of-three stabbed to death

The Garda Technical Unit working at the scene of the fatal stabbing in Courtown, Co Wexford. Ger Leacy Photo.
The Garda Technical Unit working at the scene of the fatal stabbing in Courtown, Co Wexford. Ger Leacy Photo.
The scene at Red Row, Courtown

Brendan Furlong and John Fallon

A man has been released without charge by gardai investigating the suspicious death of a father-of-three.

The deceased was discovered by gardai at his home on Christmas Eve

The dead man – named locally as father-of-three John Lawlor – is believed to have suffered a stab wound.

Gardai are inquiring into the possibility that a row broke out at the man's house on Red Row, in the Courtown Harbour area of Co Wexford.

They were alerted to the scene after a call was made to the emergency services.

A second man was found with injuries, and was treated locally before being transferred to Wexford General Hospital.

He was later arrested by gardai - and was released without charge this morning.

Yesterday, the scene remained closed off as the Garda Technical Unit carried out an examination.

Mr Lawlor, a single man, was in his 40s and lived alone.

“He would have been very well-known and liked in the area,” said one local.

“He was a man who kept very much to himself but having lived locally all his life, he would have been known to everyone.

A hospital spokesperson said the second man’s injuries were not life threatening but they were unable to give any further information. The injured man is also well known locally. Afterwards the second man – who is also aged in his 40s – was released from hospital and arrested by gardai.

He is currently detained under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Enniscorthy Garda Station.

The post-mortem on Mr Lawlor is due to take place this morning.

A garda spokesman said the results of the examination would determine whether the investigation will be upgraded.

Meanwhile, gardai have appealed for witnesses after a man was stabbed at a Christmas party in Roscommon. The incident took place at a party in an apartment in Castlerea.


The man was brought to Roscommon hospital for treatment after being stabbed with either a knife or a bottle when a row broke out.

His injuries were non-life threatening but gardai believe he was lucky not to be seriously injured.

The incident took place in the early hours of Monday morning as a group held a Christmas party at an apartment in the town.

Gardai at Castlerea (094- 9621630) have appealed for witnesses

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News