Monday 19 August 2019

Man makes statement alleging sex assault by comedian Al Porter

Al Porter has resigned from Today FM
Al Porter has resigned from Today FM

Ken Foy

A young man has made a formal statement to gardaí alleging that he was sexually assaulted by shamed comedian Al Porter.

The man made the statement to officers at Pearse Street garda station, in Dublin, earlier this week.

Detectives took a detailed statement from the man, who is understood to be aged in his 20's and who also complained about images which were allegedly sent to him.

The young man has alleged that he was sexually assaulted at a social event in Dublin city centre within the past year.

A senior source said that gardaí are taking the allegations "extremely seriously" and a full investigation has been launched into all aspects of the case.

"A formal investigation into allegations of sexual assault has been launched in this matter," a senior source said last night.

Porter has not yet been interviewed by investigating detectives and no arrests have been made.

It is understood that there are "two different strands" to the probe and gardaí are also investigating "possible harassment issues".

This investigation is separate to allegations that Porter behaved inappropriately to a patient at St Patrick's Mental Health Services in 2015.

Last Friday, allegations and complaints about the performer's inappropriate behaviour began to circulate on social media.

A variety of individuals accused Porter (24) of sexual misconduct and of groping them.

In the wake of the allegations, Porter confirmed he would be taking time off from his Today FM radio show.

Porter was also the host of TV3's Blind Date. The station has pulled any repeats of the series following the allegations.

The TV and radio star was due to be the star of the Olympia panto Polly and the Beanstalk, which he co-wrote with comedian Karl Spain.

The show was due to open on December 15 and run until January 14. The producers of the panto confirmed on Monday that the stand-up comedian is "standing aside" from his leading role in the production.

This week, Porter issued a statement in which he apologised.

It read: "While my conduct, which had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona, maybe regarded as offensive and unacceptable by many people, I at no time intended to upset anyone.

"Up until now I had been unaware of these complaints or the impact of my conduct, and I am truly sorry for any distress I may have caused in what I had regarded as light-hearted and good-natured circumstances."

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News