| 12°C Dublin

Man 'locked in house' critically injured in overnight fire

Close

Garda Kelly was left with a scar after the injury. Stock image.

Garda Kelly was left with a scar after the injury. Stock image.

Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin

Garda Kelly was left with a scar after the injury. Stock image.

A man has been left critically injured after a house fire in Athlone overnight.

Gardai raised the alarm when the fire broke out at a house in The Batteries close to the town centre.

They could not gain access to the house and became aware that the man was locked inside.

Athlone fire brigade were on site within minutes and forced their way into the burning property.

They took the man from the house.

More to follow

Online Editors