Man jumped from upstairs window to escape house fire which killed elderly uncle
A man is still recovering in hospital after he jumped from an upstairs window to escape a house fire which killed his elderly uncle.
The town of Buttevant, Cork was in shock this week following the tragic death of popular local pensioner Jack Mulvey in a fire at his home on Friday evening.
Mr Mulvey's 48-year-old nephew, Terence, suffered a number of broken bones when he jumped from an upstairs window to escape the fire and is currently recovering in CUH, the Corkman reports.
Gardaí who were alerted to the fire used a ladder to access an upstairs window but were unable to rescue Mr Mulvey who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Gardaí have ruled out foul play in the death of a pensioner in a house fire in Buttevant after a technical examination confirmed that fire was caused by an electrical fault in a downstairs room.
Mr Mulvey, who was in his early 80s, died when the fire broke out at his dormer semi-detached cottage at Knockbarry in Buttevant at around 8.30pm on Friday evening.
A neighbour raised the alarm and two gardai, who were on checkpoint duty on the main Cork-Limerick Road on the outskirts of the town, were at the scene within minutes.
The gardaí managed to get a ladder to the upstairs dormer bedroom window but were unable to get out Mr Mulvey who was trapped in the room.
Mallow Fire Brigade arrived at the scene and quickly brought the fire under control, before recovering Mr Mulvey's remains.
Speaking to Independent.ie last weekend, former Fine Gael councillor in the area Tom Sheahan said the deceased was "a very highly regarded person all his life."
"He was a lovely man and his family are the same," Mr Sheahan said.
"Everybody is shocked. He was a great age, and it is such a pity to make this age and die in this way."
Mr Sheahan said the gentleman was "very well known", a regular at Mass and was "very active, right until the end."
He also credited the paramedics and emergency services for their work at the scene.
Mr Mulvey's death is the second such fire tragedy in the Knockbarry area and follows a fatality in the adjoining semi-detached dormer cottage some 25 years ago.