Saturday 24 March 2018

Man in critical condition after one punch assault videoed by passers-by in Dublin's Temple Bar

The scene at Cows Lane Dublin this morning.
Pic: Justin Farrelly.
The scene at Cows Lane Dublin this morning. Pic: Justin Farrelly.

Ken Foy and Conor Feehan

A 29-year-old Dublin man is fighting for his life today after he suffered serious head injuries when he became the victim of a one punch attack following a verbal altercation in Temple Bar last night.

In a separate incident in the other side of the capital, a foreign man was stabbed in the kidneys when two thugs attempted to steal his mobile phone in the North Strand area.

The victim of the Temple Bar attack has been named locally as Gareth O'Connor from Harelawn Avenue, Clondalkin.

"He is hanging in there but at this moment in time his prospects of survival are grim. This is a very tragic case," a senior source said this morning.

Gardai are appealing for information about the attack which happened at Cow's Lane in Temple Bar at 8.45pm.

It has emerged that after Mr O'Connor was struck, the 33-year old man who allegedly punched him was attacked himself and knocked unconscious.

The scene at North Strand Road Dublin this morning.
Pic: Justin Farrelly.
The scene at North Strand Road Dublin this morning. Pic: Justin Farrelly.

The suspect from the Hartstown area of the northside was brought to St James's Hospital for treatment to severe facial injuries which may include fractures.

However after being treated in the hospital, he was arrested at 4.15am and is currently being held in Irishtown Garda Station. He is well known to gardai for previous incidents.

Another two men, aged 35 and 27, who are suspected of assaulting Mr O'Connor's attacker were also arrested and are today being questioned in Pearse Street Garda Station. They are from the Lucan area.

A fourth man from Killester who is an associate of the man who attacked Mr O' Connor was also arrested and he is being quizzed in Kevin Street Garda Station.

Gardai say a number of people in the vicinity took photographs and video as the incident escalated.

"The attack was pretty brutal and people may have been recording it because they felt afraid to intervene," said one source.

"But any footage would help the investigation and gardai would be anxious to see it," they added.

In a separate incident a Brazilian national was injured in an aggravated mugging in North Strand early this morning.

He and another Brazilian national were walking home when they were confronted by two men.

One of the foreign nationals was attacked and there was an attempt made to steal his mobile phone which ended in his phone being stolen.

He was then stabbed and the two men who had approached them escaped on foot.

A passing ambulance stopped and helped the injured man who was taken to the Mater Hospital.

The extent of his injuries are not known.

The scene has been preserved for a forensic examination by members of the garda technical bureau.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News