Tuesday 16 January 2018

Man held in fatal stabbing was on temporary release

Conor Kane and Tom Brady

A MAN being questioned by gardai in relation to the fatal stabbing of a young father was on temporary release from prison when the attack took place.

Patrick Murphy (27) died in hospital early yesterday, just over an hour after being stabbed at least once in the abdomen at a house in the Glen area of Waterford city.

It is understood that he was stabbed while he slept.

A woman who lived in the house where the stabbing took place was also hurt during the incident and was treated in hospital for leg and other injuries.

The injured woman, Amy Quigley (24), is a friend of the dead man and a sister of his girlfriend, Louise Quigley.

Gardai were quizzing a 24-year-old man last night who was recently given temporary release from Cork Prison, where he was serving a three-year sentence for assault.

Two of the three years had been suspended and he was due for full release next August.


Mr Murphy was asleep on a couch on the ground floor of the two-storey terraced house when a man broke in and stabbed him in the abdomen.

It is understood that the assailant then went upstairs to where Amy Quigley was sleeping with at least two of her children, aged seven, two and one, and also injured her.

A suspect was arrested later at a separate address in Waterford city and was being detained last night at Waterford garda station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

State pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy performed a post-mortem examination on Mr Murphy's body yesterday afternoon.

The stabbings occurred just a few hundred yards from the garda station at Ballybricken and about a mile from Waterford's city centre.

The area was sealed off throughout yesterday and a team from the Garda Technical Bureau carried out a forensic examination of the house.

A section of the road was closed off to traffic while the scene was being investigated.

It is understood that Amy Quigley was renting the house and had been living there for some time.

Her front-door keys had gone missing in recent days, it was reported yesterday.

Mr Murphy was still alive when the emergency services arrived at the scene shortly after the incident yesterday morning and was rushed by ambulance to the regional hospital, but the injuries he received were so severe that he lost his fight for life a short time later.

He was originally from Dublin but had been living in Waterford for a number of years.

A neighbour who lives at the nearby Glen Terrace said he heard shouting in the area early yesterday morning.

"I really didn't take much notice. I just came out and looked around, but didn't think much because I just thought it was some kids kicking wheelie-bins. I only heard this morning when I got up what had happened," he said.

Another local said that the Glen area was normally peaceful and friendly.

"We've never had any trouble since we moved here," she said.

"It's such a shame because it's somebody's son. It's not right. At the end of the day, a guy has died."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News