News Irish News

Monday 23 July 2018

Man given seven year sentence for stabbing tourist in racist attack

Michael Doyle

A 21-YEAR-old man has been jailed for seven-and-a-half years for stabbing an English tourist in a vicious racist attack.

David Colclough (21), of Pearse Street, Dublin 2, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing serious harm to David Richardson (46) and of attempted robbery of the handbag of Mrs Laverne Richardson on June 11, 2000.

Mr Richardson and his wife were in the city celebrating their wedding anniversary and visiting their son who worked in Dublin.

Judge Elizabeth Dunne described it as an "extremely serious incident" and recognised the traumatic affects that the attack had on Mr Richardson and his family.

"It is clear that this incident developed out of racial taunts that were directed at the Richardson family but I accept that none of the taunts were inflicted by Mr Colclough," she said.

"Nevertheless, it was a savage attack and the court must view it as such. It is probably a miracle that Mr Richardson survived his injuries but he is still very ill and is likely to be for sometime."

Det Sgt Oliver McEnerney told the court that David and Laverne Richardson were staying with their son in his flat in Ringsend.

They were returning along Pearse St from a restaurant in the city centre at approximately 12.40am when they encountered a group of youths who began making racial comments and animal noises at them.

The Richardsons walked on but their son Christian decided to turn back and confront the gang.

He then noticed another group crossing the road and was left facing a group of between six and eight.

They attacked him and he picked up a brick, threw it and ran off. His parents followed him and the gang gave chase.

They hurled empty beer cans before catching up with the family where David Richardson was knocked to the ground. Another three youths began to beat Christian but he was able to defend himself.

Det Sgt McEnerney said David was kicked in the face a number of times while on the ground.

Colclough then produced a Swiss Army knife and tried to take Mrs Richardson's handbag, before turning his attention to David.

Colclough stabbed him twice in the back and then a number of times in the chest before running off.

The stabbed man was taken to St James Hospital where he was in intensive care for seven days and was there a further 10 days recovering from the attack.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News