Sunday 25 March 2018

Man fights for life after knife attack on doorstep

Mayo General Hospital
Mayo General Hospital

Tom Shiel and Adam Cullen

A 54-year-old man was last night fighting for his life following a stabbing in Ballina.

The victim, who is well-known locally, was stabbed on his doorstep at around 4am yesterday.

He suffered four knife wounds and lost a significant amount of blood.

The man, who is unmarried, was rushed by ambulance to Mayo General Hospital in Castlebar.

The incident occurred at Tom Clarke Place in the Parkside area of the town at the man's home where he lived with his older brother.

The victim underwent emergency surgery.

His condition in the hospital's intensive care unit was described last night as "still critical".


Gardaí yesterday arrested a man in his 20s in connection with the stabbing.

It is understood the victim and the suspect know each other.

The suspect was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Ballina Garda Station.

Last night, local councillor Gerry Ginty described the stabbed man as being "very quiet and easy-going" and said he did not socialise much.

"I know him and his family well," he said. "They are a very respectable and liked family in the community.

"The fact that this has happened is a shock for us all, it really is. We are all praying for his safe recovery."

"You really don't expect this type of thing to happen here.

"I would see him every morning at about 7.30am walking his little Jack Russell puppy in Ballina.

"He had just recently got the dog, six months ago, and he adores it.

"Whenever another dog comes along, he picks it up and cradles it in his arms to protect it."

Mr Ginty added that the victim is a "very shy individual".

"Himself and his brother have lived together all their lives," he said.

"They were both born in England but moved back to Ballina when they were young children with their parents, who are from here originally. They are a big family."

It is understood that the victim of the attack has been unemployed for more than 10 years.

He has no involvement in crime and has never been in trouble with the law.

The spot where the incident took place was sealed off yesterday morning as gardaí carried out a forensic examination.

They are appealing for witnesses, and want anyone who may have been in the vicinity of Tom Clarke Place in the early hours of yesterday morning to contact Ballina Garda Station on 096 20560.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News