Man dies in house fire after heroic passer-by tries to save him
A man in his 20s has died in hospital following a house fire after being dragged out of the building by a passer-by.
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) received the call to the property in Ballyclare, Co Antrim, at around 10.24pm on Sunday.
Emergency services were alerted to a fire in the bedroom of a property in Rashee Park.
Before fire crews had arrived the man had been rescued by a passerby.
A spokesman for the NIFRS said two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the premises to establish if further people were in the property as one male resident had already been removed from the property by a passer-by.
Paramedics and firefighters treated both men at the scene.
In a statement the spokesman for the NIFRS said both males were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
He said: "Both the resident and the passer-by were treated at the scene by both Fire Crews and colleagues from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service. Both males were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment to their injuries.
“Tragically, a man in his 20’s died as a result of his injuries. The other male remains in hospital following the incident.
"The incident finished at 11:36pm and early indications would suggest the fire started accidentally."
Police are investigating the circumstances of the fire.
TUV councillor David Arthurs paid tribute to the young man.
He said: "He was a gentleman. A great big fella. He was well known, he was a quiet big fella, he kept himself to himself but he wouldn't have been scared to do things for the people and neighbours around him.
"In that cul-de-sac it's quite close knit and everybody knows everybody.
"He would have been a friendly big fella and wouldn't have went by you.
"It's very, very sad. Devastating, so young.
He added: "Everybody is in a lot of shock. Ballyclare is a very close knot community and everybody knows everybody.
"It's devastating news."
Detective Sergeant John McKendry said: "A man in his 20’s was taken from the house by fire service personnel but died in hospital a short time later.
"A post mortem examination is due to take place but at this stage the death is not believed to be suspicious."
Two fire appliances from Ballyclare Fire Station and one fire appliance from Glengormley attended the scene.