News Irish News

Monday 23 April 2018

Man dies in fire despite family's rescue attempt

Caroline Crawford

Caroline Crawford

THE brother and nephew of a man who died in a house fire tried desperately to save him by dragging him from the burning building.

Patrick O'Connor (64) died after a fire engulfed his home at Liss, Headford in Co Galway yesterday morning.

Mr O'Connor lived at the home along with his brother, Oliver. Both men were asleep when the fire broke out shortly after 1am.

Oliver managed to escape the blaze through his bedroom window after being roused by his nephew Darragh O'Connor, who lives next door.

Darragh and his father Ger rushed to the house, which was engulfed in flames, after they had been awoken by the sound of dogs barking.

Caherlistrane priest Fr Pat O'Brien, who was called to the scene, said: "The alarm was raised by Darragh when he heard the dogs barking.

"He and Ger ran across to the house shouting to wake Pat and Oliver. Oliver was lucky, he managed to get out through the window."

After failing to rouse Pat, his brother and nephew entered the burning building and carried him away from the burning house.

He was still alive at that stage but unresponsive.

Pat was taken to University Hospital Galway, where he died at 2.40am.

A post-mortem examination will now be carried out.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News