Sunday 25 February 2018

Man dies after fire breaks out in flat

Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A YOUNG man has died after an early-morning fire at a city centre flats complex.

The 23-year-old was pronounced dead after being dragged from his smoke-filled flat in a building on Charlemont Terrace off Wellington Road in Cork city centre.

The deceased was named locally last night as Johnny O'Keeffe. He was originally from the Knocknaheeny area of Cork's northside but had been living in the Wellington Road area for the past year.

The fire was detected at 4am yesterday by a neighbour who immediately raised the alarm. Five units of Cork Fire Brigade extinguished the blaze within minutes. The fire did not spread to adjacent buildings although six other flats in the complex had to be evacuated.

Despite desperate efforts to revive Mr O'Keeffe, he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival at Cork University Hospital from suspected smoke inhalation.

He was the only occupant of the flat where the fire broke out. He was found lying unconscious on the bathroom floor with the blaze believed to have started in his bedroom.

The scene was sealed off by gardai for a technical examination but it is understood the fire is being treated as accidental.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News