Man burnt trying to rescue drone from electrical wires
A man in his 20s is recovering in hospital from serious burns suffered after he was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a drone that got tangled in electrical wires.
The incident last night resulted in the temporary loss of power to almost 1,000 ESB customers in the Loughlinstown/Cabinteely area.
The Dublin Fire Brigade tweeted a photo of the drone caught up in the overhead electrical wires at Cabinteely Park in south Dublin.
It's understood the man used a rod in an attempt to retrieve the drone and was subsequently burned.
The brigade tweeted: "Firefighter/Paramedics from Dún Laoghaire responded with Loughlinstown National Ambulance Service to a person suffering from burns after being electrocuted trying to retrieve a drone in a south Dublin park. ESB Networks have confirmed that it was a 10kV line.
"NEVER EVER attempt to go near ESB cables."
A spokesman for ESB Networks last night confirmed that it was working with emergency services at the scene of the accident which resulted in a loss of power to the area.
"There were a significant number of customers without power for about half an hour," he said.
He said the incident is a stark reminder to the public of the dangers of interfering with electrical wires or poles.
This includes drones, kites, or anything that could come into contact with the wires.
"The ESB has a long history of safety warnings to the public about the dangers of power lines," he told the Irish Independent.
"People should be aware that they are never to be in contact with electrical wires and this is an unfortunate reminder," he said.