News Irish News

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Man badly hurt in gas explosion at flat

Kevin Keane

A MAN was being treated for serious burn injuries in hospital last night following a suspected gas explosion.

He suffered wounds to his face, hands and body in the explosion which happened in his flat in the Pearse House complex on Lower Erne Place, just off Pearse St in Dublin.

Residents reported a massive explosion in the flat at around 4.15 yesterday afternoon. It blew out all the windows and doors of the flat on the fourth floor of the building and caused extensive damage to neighbouring dwellings.

One woman, who lives in the complex said "we thought the ceiling was going to collapse; the whole building shook".

Another resident said he saw the man stumble out on to the balcony passageway after the blast. "He was out on the balcony and covered in dust."

Debris from the explosion hit a neighbouring building and was scattered over a wide area.

The man, who was named locally as Stephen Brady and is believed to be in his mid-30s, was taken to St James's Hospital where his condition last night was serious.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News