Sunday 25 February 2018

Man arrested after 14-hour stand-off comes to an end

Emergency services are at the scene of the ongoing incident
Emergency services are at the scene of the ongoing incident
Gardaí at the scene of a siege in Deerpark Avenue, Kiltipper, Tallaght.

Conor Feehan and Ken Foy

A stand-off where a man barricaded himself into a house in Tallaght for almost 14 hours has come to an end.

The stand-off came to an end when the man left the house unarmed and was arrested by gardai.

He was taken to Tallaght Garda Station where he is detained under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act, 1939.

The incident began this morning at approximately 2.30am when a lone man in his forties, who is believed to be armed, barricaded himself into his house.

A number of shots were fired from the premises in Deerpark Manor.

No injuries were reported. Gardai also reported the man to be alone in the house.

A safety cordon was put in place and a specialist garda negotiator attended the scene.

The garda operation is understood to have started after the man's partner went to Tallaght garda station to report a domestic dispute.

Next door neighbour Stephen Sinclair, who lives with his wife and their five year old son, said the shooting started in the early hours of the morning.

“I heard a noise but didn't know what it was, then there was another,” he said.

“Then I went out and there was Gardai behind a jeep, then more bangs. There was at least 30 shots during the night and then we asked Gardai to help us out the back and we came out at 10.30 this morning,” he added.

“This guy shot out the windows of the house from the inside. The frames and all are gone,” he told

Local sources said shots had been heard in the area on Friday night.

One man who lives close to the street which became the centre of garda activity said he heard several separate incidents of double shots at around 8am, while another man heard shooting at around 7am.

“It sounded to me like a double-barrel shotgun being loaded and discharged and then reloaded and discharged again,” said one man.

During the afternoon two loud bangs were heard from the area where the garda cordon area is. They occurred around twenty minutes apart just before and after 2pm.

Gardai would not confirm if the noises were related to the ongoing incident.

Gardai co-ordinated the operation from a mobile command unit, and several members of different units, including the Emergency Response Unit, could be seen in talks around that vehicle.

An ambulance and fire tender also attended at the scene.

A spokesman for the Defence Forces press office confirmed that the Explosives Ordnance Disposal unit had been requested to attend the scene at 9am.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News