Monday 18 November 2019

Man accused of killing Irish women says his father is innocent

Michael Carroll

A WAITER accused of killing two Irish women in Turkey has insisted in court that his father is innocent.

The bodies of Marion Graham and Cathy Dinsmore, both aged 53 and from Newry in Co Down, were found at an isolated woodland overlooking Izmir last year.

Recep Cetin, who was in a relationship with Ms Graham's then 15-year-old daughter Shannon, has already told a preliminary hearing that he was responsible but claimed that he was 17 years old.

However, a court in Izmir has accepted medical evidence that he is more than 22.

Yesterday in court, Recep defended his father, Erup, who is accused by Turkish prosecutors with aiding in the double killing.

Under cross-examination by prosecution lawyer Baris Kaska, Recep Cetin said: "My father is innocent.

"You cannot find him in the CCTV footage. Please release my father, he is innocent. My father is in prison for one year -- all for nothing. I have six siblings, all of them are students.

Relationship

"If there is a secret witness, I want him to come to trial and to be heard."

An indictment revealed a so-far secret witness who claims to have seen Eyup Cetin at the crime scene. DNA evidence on a shoe also suggested that a member of the Cetin family was there.

Mr Cetin's father Erup also insisted that he had nothing to do with the crime in August of last year.

"I am innocent," he said.

"I don't have any connection with the event. I am in prison for 13 months for nothing. I demand my freedom because I am innocent."

The families of the Irish victims did not travel to Turkey for the 45-minute hearing.

The case was adjourned until November 9.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News